Smarkets fixes broken markets by making them more transparent, efficient, and fair. We are growing globally while creating a progressive organisation based on the principles of self-management.
We are searching for a Finance Manager who will work with the leadership team to guide the financial health of the company. He/She will have responsibility for elements of the financial infrastructure, and for developing, producing, and analyzing reports and data on which short and long-term can be made.
If this role resonates with your passions and align with your experience, and if you want to work with a company built around out-innovating incumbent providers, we would like to hear from you.
One of the most profitable startups in Europe per employee
Smarkets is a global technology company based in London, with offices in Malta and Los Angeles. We operate one of the world's largest betting exchanges (also known as a prediction market) with significantly better odds and fees than the competition on sporting events, politics, and current affairs. Our platform has handled over £5 billion of bets since launching in 2010, allowing us to become one of the most profitable companies per employee in Europe. Our strength is technology and trading, with a passion to push the known boundaries of real-time financial technology.
We're a team of more than 100 employees representing over 30 nationalities, are growing quickly, and have been listed as one of 10 European startups to watch by the Wall Street Journal. Among our recent awards, Smarkets was named the 11th fastest-growing company in Europe in the current FT1000 ranking; Leap 100 Company of the Year by City A.M.; finished fourth in the Deloitte Fast 50; and second in The Sunday Times Tech Track 100.
Role and Responsibilities
We have done well to date, and are now in the next phase of growth that includes new products, geographies, and industries. We know that our continued success will require bold visions, thoughtful planning, and disciplined execution.
The Finance Manager will take day-to-day responsibility for finance operations, including
- Oversee the outsource accounts payable provider
- Evolve and automate the accounting processes for the betting activities
- Manage the month-end processes to deliver timely management accounts
- Develop and present performance information provided to management
- Produce regulatory and tax returns and documents, as well as annual statutory accounts
- Apply working knowledge of basic UK VAT and corporate taxation principles to relevant workstreams
Candidate Experience and Profile
- Fully Qualified ACA/ACCA/CIMA accountant with previous experience in financial/management accounting and reporting
- Ideally, expertise in helping a high-growth technology company develop robust financial practices and controls
- Be experienced in use of cloud based software tools, such as Xero and Google Suite
- Be comfortable in querying data sets through running of queries via SQL or equivalent tools
What we offer
- An emerging self-management structure – which we have not perfected, so we need everyone to help evolve the model. In practice, this means that teams respectfully debate, decide, and agree/disagree/commit to key issues. The model works when individuals build trusted relationships, teams maintains their own high standards, and the company matures together.
- Competitive salary and equity in the company
- A defined work-life balance, with only occasional late finishes
- The opportunity to develop your skills in a supportive, constantly changing setting
- Three meals a day in the office cooked by our team of professional chef using fresh, healthy, and sustainable ingredients.
- Un-capped holidays
- Central London office
- Work with one of the smartest, most diverse, and most profitable tech companies in Europe
To learn more
The fine print:
The target salary for this role is £65,000 and also includes stock options, plus other benefits listed above. Your salary will be determined by peer review and we’ll have open discussions with you about this. We are committed to pay parity and unlike a lot of other companies, we disclose salary information internally.
We transfer and store the information you submit to help us process your application and to make our hiring process better. We also make use of third-party hiring tools to help us process applications. As we are based in both Europe and the United States, your data may leave the European Economic Area when we process it. Please only submit your application if you are happy for us to use your information in this way.