Sensei is here to guide you towards greater wellbeing. Founded by Dr. David Agus and Larry Ellison, our ecosystem of products and experiences is designed with one intention: to empower you to grow well. What guides us is a belief that knowledge is the most incredible tool in health and that technology allows us to unlock deeper insights.
Everything we do is evidence-led, radically transparent, always enriching.
Sensei Wellness Holdings, Inc. (“Sensei”), a wellness lifestyle and technology company founded by Oracle co-founder and entrepreneur Larry Ellison and renowned medical doctor, scientist and author, Dr. David Agus, seeks a Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”) with a broad set of skills to oversee the financial operations of the company. The position requires an ability to create budgets, monitor finances and develop accounting systems that provide a clear picture of and safeguard for the financial position of the business, as well as develop in conjunction with the CEO, a strategic pathway for growth and monetization of Sensei’s products - wellness resorts and wellness lifestyle technology. The CFO shall be part of an Executive Team that participates in the strategic decisions that support Sensei’s mission, grow revenue, and build organizational capacity in all its business units. The CFO will report to the CEO and provide corporate financial reports to the Board of Directors and project/property financial reports to outside owners and investors.
Sensei’s mission is to guide the world towards greater wellbeing by providing evidenced-based research, hands-on programs and services at its leisure travel resorts and developing digital products and technology that aggregates, organizes, and disseminates information to empower its customers to make healthier lifestyle choices. Sensei a small, nimble start-up has a corporate team comprised of a HealthTech division (Engineering, IT and Products), Wellness Research department, Program and Business Development department, and Resorts Operational division as well as financial and organizational infrastructure that synthesizes these business units. Currently the company, with its ‘beta’ HealthTech product and established guest-facing programs and services, has one wellness facility in Lanai, is opening a second wellness resort in Rancho Mirage, CA, and in the planning stage of a third in Tahoe. The goal is to open a new hospitality facility every 18-20 months. The company plans to develop its wellness technology at its resorts with the goal of creating a scalable digital product for a larger consumer market in the future. Sensei also has tangential relationships with other Lawrence Investment affiliated science and technology companies, particularly the Ellison Institute for Transformative Medicine where Dr. Agus sits as its CEO and a Founding Director.
- Develop corporate budgets and support development of property budgeting and CAPEX schedules and oversee monthly financial reporting of all business units.
- Establish proper controls and monitor all accounting including but not limited to P/L, audit, tax return, depreciation and amortization schedules, procurement/inventory, cash flow, revenue and expenses, and Risk Management for the company.
- In coordination with the COO and a dotted line to the property level Finance Director, oversee hotel/resort accounting, forecasts, and budgets.
- Manage your corporate team of finance and accounting staff, support the property-level finance departments (in conjunction with the COO) and oversee the implementation of Paychex, Expensify, Teampay and other automated systems and related policies and procedures while continually exploring ways to improve efficiencies, reporting and safeguards.
- Report to and meet regularly with the CEO to provide financial status and updates, discuss financial best practices, and come up with strategic plans to improve the company’s overall financial performance.
- Sit on the Executive Team comprised of the CEO, COO, CFO, CTO, Wellness Development Director, Head of Products, Marketing & Brand Director and Business Development Director that seeks to coordinate and innovate.
- Review budgets monthly against established business goals and objectives and allotted resources to analyze department and property performances to support, coach and advise your colleagues how to achieve better outcomes.
- Monitor and implement the tasks associated with the company’s CAP tables and stock option plans, as well as other employee benefits and insurance.
- Tabulate, review and monitor the company’s Risk Management associated with its licensing contracts, operating agreements, consultant agreements, employee labor laws (in conjunction with HR) financial exposure, trademark filings, banking, tax filings, intellectual property, internal financial policies and procedures, and other contingent liabilities.
- Interact and professionally represent the company with outside vendors, contractors, consultants, partners, Board Members, private family office, legal and financial institutions.
- Participate in annual business plans and assure all budgets and financial projections reflect the numerical representation of said plan.
- Provide quarterly Financial Reports to the Board of Directors and as needed and requested.
- Act as primary financial interface for lead investor’s family office. Coordinate Financial Reports, debt, and equity financings as necessary.
- A minimum of 15-years’ experience in Finance with at least 5-years managing a department and 2-years as a proven CFO.
- A minimum educational threshold of holding a CPA or Master’s in Finance or equivalent.
- Ability to analyze financial data and think strategically and capture that thought process in a numerical expression known as a budget.
- Build and consolidates budgets working within a variety of company disciplines including hotel operations, product development, technology, marketing, scientific research, corporate organization, finance, and accounting systems.
- An acumen in GAAP, establishing and updating accounting best practices, knowledge of automated accounting software and SaaS, experience in tax filings and audits, and ability to construct accurate Financial Statements (P/L, Balance Sheet, and Cash-Flow Statement.)
- In conjunction with your Products or Development colleagues, capable of creating development and operating models for new business opportunities.
- Ability to manage a Finance Department and lead by example while mentoring and inspiring others.
- Provide added value to the discussion with your colleagues, think big, innovate, execute clearly, and respectfully debate and then commit to the decisions made.
- Familiarity with SaaS systems such as NetSuite, Opera, Book4Time, Micros, and comfortable working with internal engineering products connected to other Cloud-based systems.
- Committed to promoting Sensei’s wellness mission and a familiarity with wellness programs, wellness resorts (Sensei, Canyon Ranch, Miraval, Golden Door, etc.) health and wellness research (wellness writings, CDC, Harvard Medical, NIH, etc.) and wearable products and services (Apple, Whoop, Fitbit, Oura, Calm, Noom, etc.).
- Salary Commensurate with experience
- Benefits Company competitive
- Stocks Shares per CAP Table and vesting schedule base on position