Who We Are:
School in the Square (S2) is a fast-growing charter school currently serving elementary and middle school students, with plans to serve families from Pre-K through High School by 2023. S2 engages, educates and empowers its students to respond mindfully and creatively to life’s opportunities and challenges. Drawing its name from the concept of the public square or “la placita”, S2 is where communities come together to solve problems and celebrate successes. Here, students, families and educators are seen, heard, and inspired. S2 students build the academic foundations, social-emotional intelligence, and the leadership skills necessary to excel in college and professional life. Our community is grounded in principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusivity (JEDI), enacting a culturally responsive and sustaining lens to our pedagogical practice and consistently examining the ways we can continue to walk firmly in the pursuit of social justice and against injustice of any kind. S2 provides a progressive and rigorous learning community in which students thrive physically, emotionally, and academically through differentiated and personalized education and adults grow through rich and robust professional development.
We take seriously our obligation as an anchor institution in our community. We understand that our students’ ability to learn is directly impacted by their access to basic needs. Through our Family Support Program, we support over 200 families every month with bimonthly food pantries and other essential services, including internet hotspots and rent relief.
Our High School:
Our High School expands on S2’s vision of our dual language elementary school (Dos Amigos) and middle school. Our high school will be culturally responsive, have a rigorous academic program with adequate scaffolding and support for all students to be successful, and have a focus on students developing their voices and sense of agency that they will use to forge their own futures and help their communities.
Student Inquiry will be at the heart of the culturally responsive curriculum, in which students will see themselves reflected while serving as well as a window to a wider world. All students will graduate with at least a Regents diploma and the opportunity to achieve a Regents Bilingual Seal.
Students will also have the opportunity to participate in a variety of community service and service learning experiences through grade level and discipline based projects. Students will have the opportunity to participate in external internships with community-based organizations, governmental agencies and in the financial services sector and early college experiences.
Our Founding High School Multilingual Learner Support Teacher:
We are looking for a dedicated, mission-aligned English as a New Language (ENL) Teacher who both loves and respects our children. Under the supervision of the principal, the English as a New Language teacher provides legally mandated services to identified English Language Learners, as well as students who are identified as needing at-risk interventions. The ENL teacher pulls out small groups of students and works collaboratively in a teacher team model with the general education teachers implementing the WIDA Framework, aligned with the New York State Next Generation Learning Standards. The ENL teacher works with the school administrators to implement school procedures and policies and communicates with students’ parents, guardians and/or caregivers. If you have a deep belief that all students can thrive in a challenging, high-quality, nurturing and supportive learning environment, we would love to hear from you.
- Demonstrates knowledge of grade level content curricula to engage students in all content areas and differentiate curriculum and instruction to support all ELLs.
- Develops innovative instructional methodologies to teach students all content areas using the WIDA Standards to develop curriculum
- Co-plans, prepares and facilitates daily standards based lessons that utilize a variety of ENL instructional strategies which differentiate teaching based on the diverse and individual needs of all students.
- Co-teaches with general education teachers and supports student learning through modeling, lesson planning, team teaching, data analysis and ongoing feedback through dialogue and reflections.
- Manages both regulatory and instructional requirements as an ENL teacher.
- Administers Home Language Questionnaires and administers NYSITELL to determine student eligibility for ENL services.
- Administers NYSESLAT test annually.
- Create individualized plans for students with special requirements (e.g. learning disabilities)
- Research new teaching methods for teaching English as a second language
- Establishes a culture of learning to engage students in rigorous standards based curricula to ensure students master the state standards.
- Focuses on integration of literacy skills across math, science and social studies content areas, which includes explicit vocabulary development, reading, writing, speaking and listening standards.
- Designs and implements assessments that measure progress towards academic standards.
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum and inform instructional practices to create a classroom culture of data driven decision making to close the achievement gap for all students including general education, students with disabilities and ELLs.
- Other duties as assigned by Administration
Who You Are:
- Skilled with the capacity to plan, organize, and coordinate full inclusion program; supervise the development of strategies for curriculum modifications; develop and present training for teachers in best practices regarding full inclusion; evaluate and analyze complex problems, issues, and concerns; recommend appropriate alternative solutions
- Experienced with the NYSESLAT and/or NYSITELL exams
- A strategic, solutions-focused thinker with strong communication and planning skills
- A strong relationship builder, you get personal fulfillment by teaching and coaching adolescents in both academic and non-instructional situations, respecting and encouraging student effort
- Familiar with restorative practices, a strong believer in anti racism education, culturally responsive and sustaining pedagogy, trauma informed practices
- Self-reflective with the capacity to accept and implement feedback to improve instruction
- A graduate of a Master’s Degree in Education program in relevant content area and possess a valid New York State English to Speakers of other Languages or Students w/ Disabilities Certification
- Experienced as a full-time effective, impactful classroom teacher with a minimum of three years in a high school; preferably in the areas of Special Education or ELLs. Experience in an urban charter school setting is strongly preferred
Expected salary range for this role is $64,000 - $100,000, depending on experience, level of education, required certifications, internal equity, and the budgeted amount for the role.
What You Can Expect From Us:
At S2 we take as much care of our teachers and staff as we do of our students. S2 is committed to supporting our educators by helping them build sustainable, rewarding careers that center on each educator’s passions and multi-disciplinary interests. All of our faculty and staff are valued professionals and we are proud to provide extended planning time, team-building and collaboration, comfortable and friendly working conditions, and more to ensure our team members all have the tools they need to succeed.
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, S2 provides ultra competitive salaries including opportunities for supplemental compensation, an excellent benefits package with a 401K program with a 6% organizational match, longevity bonus, generous paid time off, access to a federal student loan debt reduction program and a friendly work environment.
Anyone who joins our team must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
School in the Square understands specific groups are subject to marginalization. We believe these powerful groups should be centered in our community and are highly encouraged to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.