Who We Are:
School in the Square (S2) is a fast-growing charter school currently serving elementary and middle school students, with plans to serve families from Pre-K - 12 with the opening of a high school with 9th grade in Fall, 2023. S2 engages, educates and empowers its students to respond mindfully and creatively to life’s opportunities and challenges. Drawing its name from the concept of the public square or “la placita”, our mantra is “Relationships First”. S2 is where communities come together to solve problems and celebrate successes. Here, students, families and educators are seen, heard, and inspired. S2 students build the academic foundations, social-emotional intelligence, and the leadership skills necessary to excel in college and professional life. Our community is grounded in principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusivity (JEDI), enacting a culturally responsive and sustaining lens to our pedagogical practice and consistently examining the ways we can continue to walk firmly in the pursuit of social justice and against injustice of any kind. S2 provides a progressive and rigorous learning community in which students thrive physically, emotionally, and academically through differentiated and personalized education and adults grow through rich and robust professional development.
We take seriously our obligation as an anchor institution in our community. We understand that our students’ ability to learn is directly impacted by their access to basic needs. Through our Family Support Program, we support over 200 families every month with bimonthly food pantries and other essential services, including internet hotspots and rent relief.
Our Elementary School
We believe a culture of care leads to a culture of achievement. Our program is dedicated to providing each student with the tools and support to become lifelong learners. That includes embracing that 89% of S2 families are Hispanic or Latinx. Consequently, we launched Dos Amigos, an immersive Dual Language K-5 learning model in 2020, building students’ confidence in their identity and their ability to navigate and celebrate our richly diverse world. Dos Amigos, located in the heart of Inwood, provides our young learners with the tools that stimulate their minds, helping them outperform students in single language programs.
Our Bilingual Associate Teacher
The bilingual Associate Pre-K Teacher is a core member of the classroom team and will support the classroom teacher throughout the day, providing a nurturing experience for students and their families. Our Associate Pre-K Teachers work collaboratively with their classroom teachers to plan and deliver rigorous and engaging instruction, provide small group support to students, comprehensively assess student learning and create safe and responsive learning environments.
Who You Are:
- A self-starter with 2 or more years of experience in an early childhood environment, preferably in an urban charter school setting
- Passionate about becoming a certified teacher
- Able to communicate fluently in English and Spanish
- Nurturing and playful; you provide early-learning experiences that contribute to children’s positive feelings about school, teachers, and their communities while supporting children’s development across social-emotional, physical, cognitive, and academic competencies
- Reflective and use multiple data sources to make day-by-day decisions about instruction with the capacity to accept and implement feedback to improve instruction
- Inclusive in ensuring that a child’s family, culture, and previous experiences are celebrated and incorporated into the classroom community
- Intentional in engaging in ongoing professional learning and have dedicated time for planning, practice, and reflection. You are a strong relationship builder with excellent communication and planning skills
- Diverse; classrooms are rich with materials and print that represent diverse backgrounds and cultures. You are a strong believer in anti racism education, culturally responsive and sustaining pedagogy, trauma informed practices
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education program in relevant content area and possesses a valid New York State Teaching Assistant Certification
Expected salary range for this role is $35,000 - $50,000, depending on experience, level of education, required certifications, internal equity, and the budgeted amount for the role.
What You Can Expect From Us:
At S2 we take as much care of our teachers and staff as we do of our students. S2 is committed to supporting our teachers by helping them build sustainable, rewarding careers that center on each educator’s passions and multi-disciplinary interests. All of our faculty and staff are valued professionals and we are proud to provide extended planning time, team-building and collaboration, comfortable and friendly working conditions, and more to ensure our team members all have the tools they need to succeed.
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, S2 provides ultra competitive salaries including opportunities for supplemental compensation, an excellent benefits package with employer paid life insurance, a 401K program with a 6% organizational match, longevity bonus, generous paid time off, access to a federal student loan debt reduction program and a friendly work environment.
Anyone who joins our team must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
School in the Square understands specific groups are subject to marginalization. We believe these powerful groups should be centered in our community and are highly encouraged to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.