About the role
The Director of Engineering will maximize the shots on goal their department can take by ramping up product and engineering velocity. They will motivate and inspire a growing engineering department to complete several critical projects in parallel, making sure to prioritize incremental business value along the way. Directors will often be given ambiguous problems with the implicit goal of gaining clarity and driving execution/direction.
The Director will do this by building, coaching, managing, and inspiring a team of largely senior software engineers. They will guide the team through effective planning, data driven decision making, and crucial problem solving when necessary.
In this role, expect to
- Grow an excited and motivated department by coaching, mentoring, and performance managing several teams.
- Expand engineering capacity to meet growing demands.
- Identify technical needs ahead of time to support high business-value projects, future proofed as necessary.
- Remove roadblocks before they are reached.
- Influence cross functional initiatives.
To succeed in this role, you have
- 8+ years of relevant engineering work experience.
- 4+ years of hands-on technical management experience.
- Proven the ability to recruit and develop top technical talent.
- Worked on building developer friendly SDKs, infrastructure, and tools.
- Flexed your analytical muscle working with complex behavioral and/or multi-variate datasets.
- Overseen the deployment of distributed, high-scale, web applications.
Nice to have but not essential
- Intimate knowledge of JS ecosystem (tooling, libraries, etc).
- You have more than a few years experience in cloud infrastructure, a high level of comfort with kubernetes and ideally some experience with Google Cloud.
- High level familiarity with RESTful APIs and Service Oriented Architectures.