We are looking for experienced editors, or lovers of English grammar, with a personal or professional interest in international development. We prefer that Kiva Volunteer Editors come from an editing background or have significant writing experience, but this is not a requirement to volunteer. Microfinance and other international development backgrounds are also welcome. Applicants should be:
- Proficient in English
- Able to commit to at least 2 hours per week (i.e. about 40 loans per month) for a minimum of 6 months, though one year is preferable
- Responsive and proactively communicative via email--including emails from Kiva Volunteer Coordinators and Kiva Team Leaders
- Comfortable with new technology
- You must be at least 18 years of age to apply.
- The online platform Kiva volunteers use is not mobile or tablet-friendly, so volunteers must have a personal computer.
- You will sign a volunteer agreement that covers protecting the privacy of Kiva borrowers as well as a standard media release.
1. If Kiva's Review and Translation Program determines that your experience, qualifications, and answers to the loan review exercise make you a good candidate for the volunteer program, you will be asked to complete an English editing exercise to indicate your adaptability to Kiva's unique editing style.
2. Upon successful completion of the English editing exercise, you will be invited to take training via our in-house editing platform. The training can be done with a fair amount of flexibility for your schedule, and it can be completed in about four hours total.
3. Upon successful completion of training, you will be able to review and edit loans at your convenience. Again, we ask that you review a minimum of 40 loans per month - or about 2 hours of review time per week.
PLEASE BE SURE TO APPLY WITH THE SAME EMAIL ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR KIVA.ORG ACCOUNT
1. This application includes an initial loan review exercise. We recommend finding time to fill out this entire application without distraction.
2. This page will time out after a significant period of inactivity, and your application will not be saved. You may consider copying, pasting, and saving your responses in another document.
IMPORTANT: If you are signed up for multiple volunteer opportunities, we will be unable to account for your preference as our various languages have different onboarding timelines. We ask that you please only sign up for the Review and Translation Program volunteer opportunity that you prefer.