Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key role in Rocket Lab’s evolution into an end-to-end space company that delivers launch, spacecraft, and on-orbit operations. The Space Systems Division is shaping Rocket Lab’s future with Photon, our brand of high-performance satellites, enabling innovative missions in low Earth orbit and beyond including missions for NASA to LEO, the Moon, and Mars and commercial customers, including leading the design and manufacture of 17 high-power telecommunication spacecraft buses for Globalstar.
Rocket Lab is also growing our spacecraft components business, anchored on the acquisition of Sinclair Interplanetary manufacturing reaction wheels and star trackers in Toronto, SolAero Technologies manufacturing solar power and primary structure solutions in Albuquerque, Planetary Systems Corporation manufacturing launch separation systems in Silver Spring, and Advanced Solutions, Inc., provider of flight and ground software as a service in Denver. We are also an exclusive manufacturing partner for advanced radio technology licensed from the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. Our components business is key to vertically integrating our spacecraft solutions and enabling constellations for customers.
DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT, SATELLITE SYSTEMS
Based out of our site in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the Director of Business Development, Satellite Systems is responsible for creating and executing the sales strategy for our satellite systems. You will support senior leadership and the Business Development organization, with deliverables required for our board of directors and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Lead Rocket Lab’s Photon small spacecraft solutioning, including product and business development
- Generate and execute sales of strategically aligned satellite systems
- Meet and exceed sales metrics for the Space Systems satellite group
- Develop and implement sales plans, systems, policies, initiatives, and procedures
- Collaborate with the Communications & Marketing team in creating Photon satellite collateral, marketing material, and strategic communications
- Remain current on the latest space systems competitive landscape and market, lead forecasting of satellite sales, determine pricing, and provide support for business development, strategy, and the space systems product and services roadmap
- Grow existing business opportunities and nurture relationships with existing customers
- Create new business opportunities and relationships for satellite sales
- Manage the sales pipeline and close deals
- Develop and present bid/no-bid strategies, and manage proposal planning, preparation, and submission
- Advise on, and help implement, technology licensing deals and strategic acquisitions for new and strategically aligned space systems elements
- Develop strong relationships across all levels of the business to ensure alignment, efficiency, and collaboration, including coordinating with Sinclair Interplanetary by Rocket Lab
- Coordinate and collaborate with the Engineering and Production teams to ensure adequate manufacturing and stocking plans for low lead-time delivery of satellites
- Represent Rocket Lab Space Systems satellite systems at industry conferences and customer meetings
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS (Note: you must meet every qualification in order to be considered):
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or other technical discipline
- 10+ years of experience in the aerospace industry
- Experience building, developing, or selling satellite solutions
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Master’s degree in aerospace engineering or related engineering field; or business
- Specialization in US government business development, with deep experience selling to US national security (Space Force, NRO, SDA, etc.) and civil space customers (NASA, NOAA, etc.)
- Sales management experience, and familiarity with diverse business functions such as sales, marketing, public relations, finance, and operations
- Strong understanding of corporate finance and performance management principles
- Extensive awareness of current/ongoing commercial and government satellite programs
- Track record of world-class space systems engineering experience, attention to detail, and dedication
- Experience leading, managing, and growing geographically disperse teams on fast-paced projects
- Ability to take ownership and action on challenges, and step up to manage tough situations while encouraging colleagues and direct reports to do the same
- Experience using customer relationship management (CRM) software
- Financial modeling and forecasting experience
- Experience with proposal development, writing, and best practice capture processes
- Frequent domestic and international travel is required
- Availability outside of normal business hours and/or weekends as needed
- Active security clearance, or ability to obtain one
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.