Rocket Lab is a vertically integrated provider of small launch services, satellites, and spacecraft components. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. Our team is over 1,300 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
Neutron is a medium lift launch vehicle capable of delivering the mega constellations of tomorrow, high assurance payloads, and human spaceflight. As a highly reusable launch platform, Neutron will deliver a highly cost-effective and reliable launch solution leveraging Rocket Lab’s proven execution history with the Electron program. If you’re interested in joining a high performing team, pushing the boundaries with a clean sheet development of re-usable liquid launch vehicle, this is your opportunity!
Senior Materials Propulsion Engineer
Based out of Rocket Lab's our headquarters in Long Beach, CA the Senior Materials Propulsion Engineer is responsible for the material selection and qualifications for the Archimedes Engine. In this role you’ll have the opportunities to establish qualification plans, design input for material selections and material characterization. You will support the Neutron and Archimedes teams, with deliverables required for internal leadership, board of directors, and investors.
WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO:
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams to support material selection for engine design requirements.
- Develop qualification plans for material and processes to demonstrate compliance to design requirements.
- Oversee metallographic and mechanical testing for material characterization.
- Work with design engineering to develop design allowable for materials used on Archimedes.
YOU’LL BRING THESE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in materials engineering or related field
- 5+ years of experience in materials engineering or similar roles
- Knowledge of industry standards for material qualification
- Fundamental understanding of mechanical design principals
THESE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE:
- Master’s degree
- Industry experience with welding, additive, and heat-treating processes.
- Experience with best practices for design, qualification and production
- Experience with performing failure analysis for design hardware.
- Experience with material requirements for aerospace application.
- Experience with a scrappy development environment.
In addition to base salary, Rocket Lab offers a comprehensive total compensation offer package based on individual qualifications and experience, including company stock. Employees will also be eligible for medical, dental, vision coverage, 401(k) retirement plan options, and to purchase discounted stock through Rocket Lab's Employee Stock Purchase Program.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN US OFFICES ONLY:
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S Department of State.
Rocket Lab provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment at Rocket Lab, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
FOR CANDIDATES SEEKING TO WORK IN NEW ZEALAND OFFICES ONLY:
For security reasons background checks will be undertaken prior to any employment offers being made to an applicant. These checks will include nationality checks as it is a requirement of this position that you be eligible to access equipment and data regulated by the United States' International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
Under these Regulations, you may be ineligible for this role if you do not hold citizenship of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Switzerland, the European Union or a country that is part of NATO, or if you hold ineligible dual citizenship or nationality. For more information on these Regulations, click here ITAR Regulations.