Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
Based at Rocket Lab's new headquarters in Long Beach, California. The equipment engineer has ownership of maintenance and calibration of all equipment used in the production of Electrons Rutherford rocket engines. Responsible for developing the asset register, maintenance system, maintenance plans, and completing maintenance activities. Equipment engineer is also responsible for maintenance of 5S infrastructure, including tooling shadow-board creation.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- Assist with the implementation of the company Computerised Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Analyse the system capability v company needs to recommend appropriate customisations and or efficiency improvements.
- Create and maintain a system for calibration of critical tools and equipment.
- Train and support CMMS users.
- Develop and maintain appropriate reports to allow the company to act in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in the development of asset group management processes; ensure new assets are identified and entered into the CMMS; and disposed-of assets are removed.
- Assess and select, with support from stakeholders, out-sourced maintenance and calibration vendors.
- Evaluate in-source vs outsource analysis, and recommend maintenance options to the organization.
- Ensure best practice is shared amongst the sites and that everyone is working to the same methodologies.
- Define Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for all equipment.
- Create technician training documents for Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
Preventative Maintenance & Calibration
- Review of information and recommendation for selection of maintenance strategy by component.
- Create, maintain, and carry out preventative maintenance requirements for each piece of equipment including; CNC machines, inspection equipment, testing equipment, 3D printers, and vacuum pumps.
- Accept and review corrective maintenance tasks.
- Scheduling corrective maintenance in an efficient manner around production schedules.
- Organize parts and materials.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and repair equipment, disassembling and reassembling of valves including; but not limited to Gate, Globe, Ball, Butterfly, Check, Pressure, Double Block and Diaphragm.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and repair equipment, disassembling and reassembling of actuators including; but not limited to Pneumatic, Hydraulic, Electric, and Spring.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and repair equipment, disassembling and reassembling of Flow, Pressure, Density, Temperature Meters.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, and repair equipment, disassembling and reassembling of Positive and Non-positive displacement pumps.
- Assist with the quoting, purchasing, installation, qualification and buy-off of new equipment.
- Control of Lifting equipment register and certification.
- Control of electrical equipment register and equipment checking
- Domestic and international travel may be required
- Additional duties as reasonably required
Health and Safety
- Act as the main POC for EHS activities.
- Create and drive safety plans by area/resource/machine.
- Ensure health and safety policies and standard operating procedures are followed.
- Correct PPE is worn in designated areas.
- Near misses and incidents are reported promptly.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Minimum 4 years’ of experience in a similar role.
- Ability to take initiative and work unguided.
- Excellent communicator skills.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing.
- Must be skilled with Gantt charts, planning software and standard Microsoft office applications.
- Strong working knowledge and background in fluid mechanics (liquids and gasses) .
- Interpret schematics and equipment manuals.
- Be part of an effective work planning process that utilizes work order, planners, and part staging.
- Aeronautical, manufacturing or, trade experience.
- Knowledge of Infor LN ERP and/or Hippo or equivalent CMMS package.
- Previous CMMS implementation system experience.
- MIG, TIG, stick, brazing and soldering skills are a plus.
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status