Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core - every idea is heard and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly and we are action-oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
MECHANICAL QUALITY INSPECTOR
Ensure hardware received and produced in the Rocket Lab Long Beach facility conforms to engineering requirements through efficient and effective detection methods. Prevent faulty hardware from progressing in the manufacturing process and support root cause mitigation and elimination of failure modes.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform complex mechanical inspections for purchased parts, 3D-printed components, CNC-machined items, electro-mechanical components, and propulsion assemblies.
- Perform all types of precision inspections, including receiving, in process and final assembly inspections. This includes capability to effectively use hand measurement systems and CMM.
- Thoroughly document non-conformance in accordance with Rocket Lab systems and procedures in our internal ERP, MES and Issue tracking system.
- Collaborate with engineering and management to improve work instructions and identify critical inspection points in the process.
- Coordinate with Production personnel to prioritize workload and enable the team to meet key delivery milestones.
- Embody a Built in Quality philosophy, consistently detecting non-conformance (Don’t accept a Defect – Don’t Pass a Defect) and preventing escapes to downstream customers.
Non-Conforming Product Control
- Take ownership of the Material Review Board (MRB) process, ensuring all parts are properly identified, and work with engineers to disposition and process hardware.
- Properly execute the necessary systems transactions, whether is scrap, return to vendor or return to stores.
- Identify opportunities of efficiency gains and waste reduction within the production and quality processes.
- Assist in the identification of failure modes and contribute ideas to eliminate the potential for future failures.
- Domestic and international travel may be required.
- Additional duties as reasonably required.
- Be a role model for a safety-conscious culture.
- Ensure health and safety policies, PPE, standard operating procedures are followed.
- Ensure near misses and incidents are reported promptly and accurately.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- 3+ years of experience in a quality manufacturing environment.
- Geometric Dimension and Tolerance (GD&T) experience.
- Ability to operate a CMM using Calypso software.
- High level of experience using hand measuring instruments including calipers, micrometers, depth gauges, feeler gauges, pine gauges, thread gauges, surface roughness measurement, etc.
- Experience on using measurement instruments like comparators.
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision in a timely manner.
- Adaptable and comfortable in an exciting, dynamic, and evolving environment.
- Extraordinarily high attention to detail when performing in-process assembly inspections.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience with ERP and MES systems.
PREFERRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Working proficiency with DFMEA, PFMEA methodologies and Fault Tree Analysis.
- Pareto analysis, root cause and corrective action experience.
- Calypso CMM programming experience.
- Inspection experience with aerospace propulsion components & assemblies.
- Experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
- 11:00 am - 7:30 pm
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status