Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. Our mission is to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there’s a community for everybody on Reddit and with over 50 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
Reddit is continuing to grow our teams with the best talent. This role is completely remote friendly and will continue to be after the pandemic.
Who We Are
Advertising is Reddit’s primary business model and we have an ambitious goal to turn it into a massive business to fund Reddit’s mission to bring the community and belonging to everyone in the world. Although several large digital ad platforms exist, advertisers are increasingly drawn to Reddit because of our passionate communities that drive action. This large number of self-governed communities have highly-engaged users who are in an unduplicated mindset of consuming relevant information. This has created the opportunity for Reddit to build a massive and highly differentiated ads business.
The Ads Targeting Audiences team is responsible for building targeting products that enable advertisers to reach their intended audience. Engineers on the team are involved in the entire product lifecycle and work across the ads delivery stack. This team is a great fit if you’re passionate about building products with high visibility and business impact, or like to build high-throughput and low-latency distributed systems.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help lead the team. Some key areas of focus for the team in 2023 includes:
- Launching a new zero to one product called Dynamic Product Ads which allows advertisers to show their shopping products to users
- Building a search cluster to index millions of text embeddings to find relevant shopping products to show next to Reddit content
- Setting the north star vision and strategy for an online embedding-based retrieval system
- Establishing and contributing to the team’s culture and processes
- 5+ years of experience working across the stack including building distributed low-latency and high-volume systems, database design, integrating with ML models, and experimentation
- Experience working with recommendation systems such as Ads or Search (experience in candidate generation is a bonus)
- Experience with product development – leading both zero-to-one launches and adding features to existing products
- Experience leading large engineering teams and collaborating with many cross functional partners
- Experience with designing, implementing, and navigating complex data pipelines and systems – ideally involving real-time systems
- Significant experience in one or more general purpose programming languages (e.g., Go, Java, Python)
Technologies used on the team include:
- Languages: Go, Python, Scala
- Frameworks: Baseplate, Spark, Flink
- Datastores: Kafka, DynamoDB, Redis, Postgres, Cassandra, Druid, BigQuery
- Tools: Kubernetes, Argo, Airflow, Docker, Thrift, AWS / GCS
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation (please use them!) & Reddit Global Days Off
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.