“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
With hundreds of millions of users, Reddit Feeds are hit more than 2000 times every second on average. Large-scale Machine Learning challenges at Reddit are in fact Engineering challenges. The Feeds Algorithms team is looking for an Engineer tech lead who will design and build backend systems to recommend relevant, fresh and highly engaging content using Machine Learning models. Our product surfaces include the Home Feed, Popular Feed and Subreddit Listings, which account for more than 60% of all post views on Reddit.
As a Back-End Engineer, you will develop and scale real-time recommendation systems to fuel the next wave of Reddit’s growth. With our tight-knit team, you will directly see the impact of your work on hundreds of millions of people around the world. Join us and help build the future of Reddit!
- Design and build Engineering systems that rank content using Deep Learning models at large scale and high velocity.
- Work closely with Machine Learning Engineers to create highly performant ML products
- Lead architectural designs of large-scale ML systems
- Continuously improve stability and scalability of the system
- Build infrastructure and frameworks to empower rapid product iteration at scale
- Collaborate with Product Managers to understand end-user requirements, and then translate that into a pragmatic and effective technical solution
- Uphold Engineering standards by reviewing design documents and code written by junior team members
- Ship A/B experiments and scale winning features
- 4+ years experience with software engineering writing production-level code
- The ability to write robust, efficient, clean and maintainable code in Python
- Experience designing and building large-scale, distributed systems
- Experience building ranking, recommendation or discovery systems
- Experience partnering with Machine Learning Engineers or Data Scientists to productionize Machine Learning models
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Work autonomously, are excited by new technologies, and will never back down from the challenges of scale.
- Knowledge of the A/B experimentation process
- The desire to keep learning as well as to establish Engineering best practices
- Familiarity with Redis, Kubernetes, Microservices, AWS, Kafka and Cassandra
- Passion for Reddit a strong plus
What You Can Expect From Us:
- Impact: if Redditors lived in the same country, it would be the third largest country in the world. Every feature you ship will directly improve the lives of millions.
- Culture: “Remember the human” is a Reddit company value we take very seriously. Team members are kind, capable and collaborative.
- Fun: you will get to build new systems and features, experiment, iterate, rinse and repeat.