Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
Recursion recently announced its intention to launch its first major multidisciplinary expansion beyond its Utah headquarters, with plans to hire up to 50 people in Toronto and 12 people in Montreal by the end of 2021.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Design, train and evaluate models. You will solve challenging drug discovery problems by designing fit-for-purpose ML and statistical models and data splits from our massive in-house datasets – more than 8PB of cellular image data, and growing chemical, transcriptomic, and proteomic datasets – and training these models using our on-premise NVIDIA A100 superpods. You’ll collaborate with biologists, chemists, automation engineers, data engineers, and other scientists to refine these models, possibly generating more data in the process, until they provide a reliable productionized solution.
- Create maps of biology. You will be an essential part of achieving Recursion’s mission to decode biology and radically improve lives by turning our massive datasets into maps of human disease biology that allow drug hunters to quickly and accurately navigate to optimized small molecule therapies for hundreds of diseases.
- Share your work. You will represent Recursion to the scientific community by presenting your work at top conferences and publishing in top scientific journals.
- Define excellence in execution. You will use your technical knowledge to set a high standard of delivery, impact, learning, and growth across teams at Recursion.
The Team You’ll Join
As a member of the Montreal office at Mila, you will form new teams with other ML scientists and engineers in that office to design and apply state-of-the-art ML methods to solve challenging drug discovery problems. You’ll work cross-functionally with Recursion teams in Salt Lake City and Toronto to accomplish Recursion’s mission. And as a member of the Mila community, you will have the opportunity to participate in Mila events such as lectures and reading groups, and collaborate with professors, postdocs and students on projects of mutual interest and benefit.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD in Computer Science or related quantitative field or the equivalent practical experience.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience applying modern machine learning methods to solve real-world problems.
- Experience applying modern ML and statistical methods to large datasets and reasoning about the outcomes. Experience with microscopy/biomedical imaging data, chemical data, or genomic data is a plus. A working knowledge of the drug discovery process is a huge plus.
- Extensive experience using modern technologies to accelerate machine learning (e.g. PyTorch, TensorFlow/Keras, Horovod, etc)
- Outstanding past projects, publications, and presentations, and a demonstrated ability to communicate results to cross-functional stakeholders.
- Curiosity and the professional skill-set to excel in an open, highly collaborative environment.
Please Note: Montreal office opening soon
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy as a Full-Time Recursionaut:
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs**
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.