WHAT WE DO
Our long-term mission is to decode biology to radically improve lives - we want to understand biology so well that we can fix most things that go wrong in our bodies. We have raised over $200+ Million to apply machine learning to one of the most unique datasets in existence - hundreds of millions of images of cells under a huge number of biological and chemical perturbations, generated in our own labs - to find treatments for hundreds of diseases.
THE PROBLEMS YOU’LL SOLVE
As a Senior DevOps Engineer you’ll report to a software engineering manager and work most closely with Software Engineers, but your contributions will benefit Biologists, Automation Scientists, and Data Scientists by building the infrastructure needed to decode human biology and reinvent drug discovery. Some tools we use are Python, Clojure, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, and Google Cloud Platform. You will:
- Build, secure, scale, and monitor infrastructure to promote quick iteration in well managed environments You’ll collaborate with teams responsible for designing complex experiments, and processing 70+ terabytes of images each week growing to 3.5+ petabytes of data overall. This requires engineers to ship code to staging and production environments in a controllable way.
- Help operate an advanced technology suite of tooling You’ll work on internal tools used by Engineers and Data Scientists that help them operate across multiple environments.
- Be a mentor to peers You’ll share your technical knowledge and experiences with those you collaborate with to increase the value of our joint work. This will include pairing with teams on pilot projects to evaluate new solutions.
QUALITIES WE VALUE
- Experimentation We want DevOps Engineers who think critically and use data to measure results. Using the scientific method allows our Engineers to quickly understand the essential aspects of the problems we’re trying to solve and whether or not we’re moving in the right direction.
- Collaboration We want DevOps Engineers who play well with others. The role will require cooperation with a variety of software engineering, IT, and data science teams.
- Curiosity We want DevOps Engineers with a learning mentality. Our Engineers openly discuss the trade-offs inherent in how we build software to ensure we evolve faster, cheaper, and more reliably than in traditional drug discovery.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED
- A security mindset with a passion to mentor others to promote security practices including secret storage, authentication, and authorization.
- Have 3+ years experience managing infrastructure as code and a working knowledge of cloud networking and configuring virtual private clouds (VPCs) or service meshes.
- A passion for solving difficult problems to improve the software development life cycle faster and more enjoyable. We want someone who can partner with team members to accelerate and share our improved development processes.
PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Two one-week company closures during the winter holidays and during the peak of summer
- Stock options
- Company-provided lunches, snacks, and beverages to keep you fueled up and focused
- Industry-leading paid maternity, paternity, and adoption leave
- Short and long-term disability insurance
- Impressive office & laboratory space located in downtown Salt Lake City
- In-office showers, lockers, bike parking, an 80-ft climbing wall (yes, inside our office), nearby trail access - to support an active and outdoorsy lifestyle
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.