At PitchBook, we are always looking forward. We continue to innovate, evolve and invest in ourselves to bring out the best in everyone. We’re deeply collaborative and thrive on the excitement, energy and fun that reverberates throughout the company.
Our extensive mentorship, education and training programs help us create a culture of curiosity that pushes us to always find new solutions and better ways of doing things. The combination of a rapidly evolving industry and our high ambitions means there’s going to be some ambiguity along the way, but we excel when we challenge ourselves. We’re willing to take risks, fail fast and do it all over again in the pursuit of excellence.
If you have a good attitude and are willing to roll up your sleeves to get things done, PitchBook is the place for you.
About the Role:
Powered by original reporting and proprietary data and research, PitchBook News is the essential provider of timely insights on the global private markets. A wide range of investors and market professionals looks to our growing team of journalists to make sense of daily deals and current trends across private equity, venture capital and other alternative assets.
PitchBook seeks a top-flight financial journalist to run news coverage of the private equity asset class along with our reporting on the investment firms, companies and individuals driving the $9 trillion global private equity industry. This role involves supporting and leading a fast-paced team of writers and data journalists producing daily articles including original, deeply reported enterprise features, data-driven stories and quick-turn articles on breaking news.
This position is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced reporter or editor looking to make an impact by helping a dynamic, growing news team produce industry-leading insights on the private market. You’ll contribute to the editorial vision and strategy for a newsroom whose work is a daily must-read for decision-makers and service providers across the global financial markets. You will use your news instincts, wits and creativity every day to help our private equity reporters be at their best in covering their beats.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Prioritize and assign daily news coverage
- Collaborate with reporters and other editors on spotting deal trends
- Mentor and coach reporters on honing their journalistic and analytical skills
- Help frame story ideas and identify sharp story angles
- Work with reporters on building and analyzing datasets and mining them for insights
- Line-edit articles and data-visuals to be ready for publication
- Plan and organize longer-term content ideas and assignments
- Contribute to the overall content strategy
- Write content as needed to supplement coverage by reporters
- Support the vision and values of the company through role modeling and encouraging desired behaviors
- Participate in various company initiatives and projects as requested
Skills and Qualifications:
- Must be well-informed about the private markets, preferably with a background in covering or working in private equity, venture capital or investment banking
- At least 6 years of experience in financial journalism or research
- A passion for storytelling about business and finance
- Fluency in financial market technicals and principles of investment, corporate development and deal-making fundamentals
- Excellent news judgment, writing and editing skills under tight deadlines
- Knowledge of performing quantitative analysis
- Proven ability to manage and motivate a team
- Ability to identify and remedy an article’s holes, inconsistency or other shortcomings
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite including in-depth knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel with the ability to pick up new systems and software easily
Benefits + Compensation at PitchBook:
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Additional medical wellness incentives
- STD, LTD, AD&D and life insurance
- Paid sabbatical program after four years
- Paid family and paternity leave
- Annual educational stipend
- Ability to apply for tuition reimbursement
- CFA exam stipend
- Robust training programs on industry and soft skills
- Employee assistance program
- Generous allotment of vacation days, sick days and volunteer days
- Matching gifts program
- Employee resource groups
- Subsidized emergency childcare
- Dependent Care FSA
- Company-wide events
- Employee referral bonus program
- Quarterly team building events
- 401k match
- Shared ownership employee stock program
- Monthly transportation stipend
*Please be aware the above PitchBook benefit and perk offerings are subject to corresponding plan and policy documents and may change during the course of your employment.
- Annual base salary: $102,350-$184,000
- Target annual bonus percentage: 15%
*Starting pay will be based on several factors and commensurate with qualifications & experience. We also have a location-based compensation structure; there may be different ranges for candidates by location.
Life At PB:
We are consistently recognized as a Best Place to Work and our culture is at the heart of our success. It’s our fundamental belief that people do and create great things and that people are the cornerstone of prosperity. We believe that proactively seeking out different points of view, listening to others, learning and reflecting on what we’ve heard creates a sense of belonging within PitchBook and strengthens the PitchBook community.
We are excited to get to know you and your background. Concerned that you might not meet every requirement? We encourage you to still apply as you might be the right candidate for the role or other roles at PitchBook.