The Senior Director of Commercial Customer Success is a highly driven, results-oriented, and people first leader who will both drive excellence in execution while building the foundation for growth for Pendo customers with 200-2500 employees. As a vital leader within the Pendo Customer Success team, you should be authentic, empathetic, strategic-minded, organized, commercially-minded, and inspirational as a mentor/coach. You will help the Pendo CS team scale processes and customer centric strategies that guide and maintain Pendo’s growth goals. Your success will be directly measured by Gross and Net Revenue Retention, Expansion ARR, and eNPS. As a manager you will help foster a healthy and scalable culture rooted in Pendo core values.
You will have the responsibility for leading a team in the US of Customer Success Managers, ICs and people managers, focused on driving business-critical outcomes for Pendo’s Commercial customers. You will be tasked with ensuring customers accomplish their goals and effectively recognize and communicate the value Pendo brings to their organization. Through collaboration with your team, peers and organizational stakeholders, you will build a strong operational foundation with effective engagement strategies that drive ongoing adoption, mature client relationships, and foster customer advocacy. This role will require a consultative and holistic approach to the customer lifecycle, managing priorities in a hypergrowth environment, navigating a diverse customer portfolio, and ability to communicate effectively across all levels.
Responsibilities (what you’ll do):
- Inspire, attract, and manage a team of high performing CS managers and individual contributors - develop, lead and coach with a strong focus on team and individual development, organizational metrics and scorecard results.
- Contribute as a key member of the CS leadership team to inform global strategy, driving pragmatic, short & medium term successes that support the long term strategic vision.
- Partner with CS, Sales and Product leadership to align on quarterly retention, growth and territory goals, and strategic initiatives.
- Develop customer engagement strategies, and ensure the team is engaging strategically with customers and help prioritize activities that drive adoption, value and advocacy.
- Monitor and forecast retention on a monthly basis, observing key trends and holding the team accountable for engagement outcomes, retention targets and customer growth.
- Provide analytics and reporting including forecasting, pipeline analysis, quarter and year-end reports, board slides, performance to quota, and customer risk & health
- Serve as an Executive Sponsor for strategic customers, and enable your team to build and nurture relationships across the customer’s ecosystem to solidify partnerships and create opportunities for expansion.
- Collaborate closely with Success Operations, Enablement partners and other product, sales, and marketing stakeholders to strengthen operational components around retention insights, renewals motions, and customer health and adoption metrics and tools.
- Be a thought leader in developing and executing on Customer Success and Account Management best practices that can be used across the organization.
- Own and evolve the Commercial customer journey, including onboarding, adoption, retention, and expansion with an emphasis on defining and demonstrating value to grow net revenue retention.
Qualifications (what you have):
- You have a minimum of 5-7 years experience of people management in customer success, account or technical account management at a SaaS company, with at least 3 years of second line management experience
- Strong understanding of value drivers in recurring revenue business models
- Demonstrated success in consistently delivering revenue numbers, producing accurate forecasts, while maintaining a focus on customer health management, gross retention, expansion and advocacy.
- Experience building and scaling as a second line manager in a hypergrowth setting, with demonstrable history of developing individual contributors and people managers
- Operationally-focused and adept at connecting and communicating trends cross-functionally with clear metrics, feedback, stories
- Demonstrated experience managing and negotiating with both Mid-Market and Enterprise companies and stakeholders, including a strong ability to build and maintain C-Level and executive relationships.
- Exceptional collaboration and communication skills, and the ability to balance a bias to act while maintaining strong cross-functional relationships
- Proven track record of overachievement, innovation, leading change, and creativity in solving company and team challenges
- You are a natural mentor and regularly take initiative to help your colleagues be more effective and help your teams perform at their best while being fulfilled by their work
- You exemplify strong technical competence and passion for B2B SaaS
- Demonstrated success in building and/or scaling a Services or Customer Engagement function in a large enterprise leveraging strong inter and intra-team change management, alignment, & collaboration
- You are an entrepreneur at heart with a growth mindset, and you thrive in a fast-paced, flexible, startup environment; demonstrated ability to adapt and lead in a high growth environment
Pendo was founded in 2013 by former product managers, who combined their heads and hearts to build something they wanted but never had as product managers -- a simple way to understand and attack what truly drives product success. Our mission is to improve society's experience with software.
Come join one of the fastest-growing startups, supported by best-in-class institutions like Battery Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Spark Capital and Meritech. You will gain experience in a diverse and exciting set of technologies and clients and have a real impact on Pendo's future. Our culture is passionate, dynamic, and fun.
We are an equal opportunity employer and believe having diverse teams where everyone brings their whole self to Pendo is key to our success. We welcome all people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
Pendo is committed to working with, and providing access and reasonable accommodation to, applicants with mental and/or physical disabilities. If you think you may require an accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, please send a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests for accommodations are treated discreetly and confidentially, as practical and permitted by law.