Outset Medical is a commercial-stage, privately held company delivering first-of-its-kind technology into the growing dialysis market that has had little innovation in over a decade. Our mission is to dramatically improve not only the care experience – for patients, families, providers and physicians alike – but to also free providers from having to rely on expensive clinic infrastructure.
Outset’s Tablo® Hemodialysis System, with real-time water purification and dialysis fluid production integrated in a single, compact system, functions like a dialysis clinic on wheels. Wireless data, sensor-based automation, and an animated touchscreen aim to make Tablo easy to learn and easy to use for healthcare professionals and patients alike. Tablo is FDA cleared for use in the clinic and hospital setting and with a clinical trial underway to support clearance for use in the home. Outset Medical is a privately held company backed by a top-tier syndicate of investors, including Fidelity, T. Rowe Price, Perceptive Advisors, The Partner Fund and Warburg Pincus.
The State Policy and Advocacy Director is responsible for establishing, maintaining, and sharing in-depth knowledge and a database of state policies and regulations regarding the delivery of dialysis care. Working with the Head of Government Affairs and Market Access the Director will establish and execute annual strategies for state policy engagement that ensure patients have timely and high-quality access to dialysis treatments.
The ideal candidate should be well versed in state legislative and regulatory policy impacting healthcare providers and medical device manufactures. They should be able to facilitate cross-functional groups and be able to develop and deliver a strategic and tactical plan based on input from both internal and external stakeholders. Finally, they should be passionate about serving customer needs through cutting edge technology application and want to be a part of creating a paradigm shift in renal replacement therapy.
Essential Job Functions
- Analyze state regulations and legislation governing dialysis operations in key states
- Collaborate with marketing and sales business leads to develop tools and resources for the sales teams and customers to help them understand state regulations governing dialysis operations
- Monitor and track updates to state legislation and regulation changes that impact the business
- Provide strategic guidance and advice to the Head of Government Affairs and Market Access on the development of policy priorities in key states, and where to direct resources based on the needs of the business
- Proactively advance legislative and regulatory initiatives by working with State legislators and regulatory agencies and developing strategic stake-holder alliances
- Represent Outset at various meetings, including state legislative hearings, regulatory agency meetings and senior-level stakeholder groups
- Collaborate with Sales leadership to identify policy barriers impacting the business
- Brief Senior Leadership on opportunities and threats to the business and our customers at the state and local level
- Coordinate, oversee, and review the work of consultants where applicable to ensure desired quality and scope of work is met
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 5 years of experience in state policy or within state government, legislature, regulatory, or executive branch
- Previous work experience in a similar role in the medical device industry is strongly preferred
- Detailed knowledge of state government regulations and legislative processes and understanding of the health care policy
- Proven experience analyzing and interpreting health policy regulations for business teams
- Proven experience developing policy-related action plans and coalitions
- Ability to work in multiple states to advance legislative and regulatory priorities
- Must be willing to travel (up to 50% of the time during certain times of the year) and be responsive and available after hours and on weekends as needed; must have a valid driver’s license
- Excellent interpersonal skills that foster the ability to design and manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet short non-negotiable timelines
- Exceptional analytical, problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating with cross-functional teams
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, strategic, and highly organized
- Proven experience in creating a strategic work plan to set and achieve specific goals
- Experienced in working with people with diverse backgrounds
- Must have excellent computer skills and is able to work in Microsoft Office