Outset is a medical technology company pioneering a first-of-its-kind technology to reduce the cost and complexity of dialysis. The Tablo Hemodialysis System, FDA cleared for use from the hospital to the home, represents a significant technological advancement that transforms the dialysis experience for patients and operationally simplifies it for providers. Tablo serves as a single enterprise solution that can be utilized across the continuum of care, allowing dialysis to be delivered anytime, anywhere and by anyone. The integration of water purification and on-demand dialysate production enables Tablo to serve as a dialysis clinic on wheels, with 2-way wireless data transmission and a proprietary data analytics platform powering a new holistic approach to dialysis care.
The Product Support Engineer is responsible for providing operational and service engineering support of Outset Medical’s Tablo system and digital platforms. The primary functions of this position are resolve real time field escalations, develop technical service content, and evaluate field issues to drive product and process improvements. The Product Support Engineer serves as a primary liaison between Outset’s internal technical groups (Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing) and the various internal and external departments supporting Service (Field Service, Customer Experience, Technical Support, Planning, Marketing).
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide real-time troubleshooting support of Tier 3 escalations from internal customers (Field Service, Technical Support, Sales & Marketing)
- Provide problem solving skills to complex product & process issues, lead & collaborate cross functionally to drive resolution ensuring internal and external customer satisfaction
- Support Tablo software and hardware product development, validation, documentation, and deployment strategies
- Support hardware & software development processes on behalf of service; define product requirements, negotiate & influence key stakeholder in prioritization and development of service features.
- Integrate tightly with Engineering & Quality teams, lead service strategy definition & execution for software and hardware
- Develop & maintain service procedure, service bulletins, training materials, knowledge base articles.
- Develop, manage, and drive continuous improvement in field tooling (hardware, software, and infrastructure tools)
- Drive complex failure investigations, data collection and analysis, and collaborate closely with the engineering team to identify product design, service, and quality improvement opportunities.
- Identify and drive service business process improvements and standardization
- Identify and assist technical training team in delivery and continuous improvement of training program for service personnel
- Provide technical support for Quality/Post-Market activities (CAPAs, field actions, etc.)
- Travel required ~10%
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering discipline (Mechanical, Industrial, etc.) or equivalent experience required
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in Engineering role or equivalent experience supporting service organization required.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience supporting medical device capital equipment
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop clear, concise technical documentation.
- Proficiency reviewing and understanding complex electromechanical and fluidic product/component specifications
- Demonstrated experience in identification and implementation of continuous improvement initiatives
- Excellent written/oral/technical communication ability, with strong interpersonal skills. Effective working in cross-functional and remote team environments.
- Strong attention to detail; capable of independently managing projects with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in Windows, MS Office applications
- Experience with electronic documentation systems; Agile and Salesforce preferred
- Project management skills/experience a plus
- Familiarity/experience with CAD tools (Solidworks) a plus
- Familiarity/experience with programming (Matlab, Python), databases (SQL), and statistical analysis processes (Six Sigma)