Niantic’s R&D Team is seeking an ambitious Augmented Reality Software Engineer to push the frontiers of Computer Vision and Machine Learning.
In this role you’ll be part of a collaborative, motivating, and engaging team, to help algorithms evolve from concept to desktop to mobile. This person will advise on and build prototypes and tools, validating bleeding-edge AR capabilities for future products.
We are all passionate about discovery, so we’re looking for engineers who want to learn and deploy inventions that could help make better “adventures on foot, with others.”
Niantic Engineering leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies, while crafting engaging apps for millions of users.
- Collaborate cross functionally with diverse teams of engineers and designers, to build advanced software for in-field use that will deliver exceptional virtual reality experiences.
- Design systems that enhance the Niantic AR Development Kit and products directly, or through internal R&D tools, to emphasize computer vision and machine learning algorithms.
- Innovate by finding problems, implementing elegant solutions, and building first-of-its-kind technology.
- Write high performance code, debug complex problems that span systems, prioritize tasks effectively and efficiently to meet agreed timelines.
- Learn with us as a team, adopt a problem solving and solutions driven mentality, in order to help educate others, and make a big impact in ambiguous areas of R&D with unfamiliar technologies.
- Demonstrable experience in software development, including shipping one or more products using standard software development practices.
- Passion for code quality and performance.
- Advanced knowledge of C/C++ and C# programming languages.
- Experience developing applications for iOS or Android platforms.
- Strong understanding of programming paradigms and design patterns.
- Confidence in concurrent computing concepts.
- Experience using Metal or OpenGL or Vulkan or other 3D graphics development frameworks.
- Experience designing Unity APIs and tools.
- Proven record of working collaboratively in a multi-functional team.
- You may have worked with ARKit/ARCore augmented reality frameworks.
- Experience working with CoreML, Vision, TF Lite, Android NNAPI, and other ML frameworks for mobile platforms.
- Experience using tools and frameworks for training machine learning algorithms.
- First-hand experience building computer vision/graphics systems and working knowledge of 3D geometry and linear algebra.
- Communicating technical ideas to experts and non-experts and working with machine learning research teams.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.