Niantic’s Augmented Reality R&D Team is seeking an ambitious Software Engineer (Research Infrastructure) to push the frontiers of high-quality AR.
You will work as part of a fun team focusing on experimental innovation at the intersection of machine learning, computer vision, and augmented reality. We balance the culture of scientific investigation with the product-led focus of the wider company. We develop cutting-edge research and deploy it to our games and platform.
We are passionate about discovery, so we’re looking for an engineer who wants to learn and deploy inventions that could help make better “adventures on foot, with others.” Niantic leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies, which are deployed in engaging apps for millions of users.
- Collaborate with diverse teams of scientists and engineers to build advanced software systems and tools to advance R&D.
- Build and maintain automation frameworks bridging multiple technology stacks across teams through the entire machine learning / computer vision development lifecycle, from data pipelines to on-device testing.
- Work with researchers, engineers, designers, and product owners to inform the design and implementation of research prototypes and features with a focus on testability, scalability, and maintainability.
- Develop a working knowledge of R&D’s portfolio of machine learning / computer vision-based projects.
- Develop, integrate, or maintain tools to support research workflows, including for visualisation, reporting, and testing.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other research software engineers.
- Advocate for best practices for research infrastructure and software development.
- Demonstrated ability to architect scalable, extensible, distributed, and observable software systems.
- Extensive experience designing and building automation and testing frameworks, especially for mobile applications, games, and/or research software.
- Expertise in automation, CI/CD, DevOps, MLOps, monitoring and cloud computing tooling, e.g. Kubernetes, Argo, Kubeflow, Ansible, Terraform, etc.
- Excellent practical software engineering ability, including expertise with Unix and shell scripting and proficiency with Python and C++.
- Experience building efficient data pipelines for large-scale processing, particularly for image or video data, and great knowledge of relevant data structures and algorithms.
- Experience designing for and running deep learning training systems at scale, including multi-server and multi-GPU training, and managing deep learning hardware resources.
- Experience building cloud-based and/or hybrid solutions with leading providers such as AWS, GCP, Azure.
- Close attention to detail and a passion for building high-quality systems and features with rigorous standards of testing.
- Experience working with building tools and dashboards for visualisations.
- Experience leading Agile / Scrum teams.
- Previous experience working in a research lab or with researchers.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.