Niantic’s Engineering Team is seeking Software Engineers to join the server infrastructure team that supports the hosted AR/Geo platform underpinning projects such as Pokémon GO, Ingress, and Harry Potter: Wizards Unite, and future titles built on this platform. You will design and implement infrastructure solutions that host hundreds of millions of events per day as well as encapsulating those technologies behind easily understood, well-organized APIs to enable development of planet-scale AR experiences.
- You will craft Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) solutions to support planet-scale game servers, platform services, large datastores and secure networking.
- You will build reliable, high-throughput, low-latency and scalable server and networking systems that support Niantic’s developers and products.
- You will collaborate with other specialists, product managers, and other departments to ensure code meets internal standards.
- 2+ years of experience building reliable and scalable realtime server systems. 5+ years for senior candidates.
- Proficiency in compiled languages such as C++, Go or Java.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes and cloud platforms such as Google Cloud, Azure or AWS.
- Experience monitoring and troubleshooting production systems.
- You have written network protocols using gRPC for highly available services.
- You have extended Kubernetes and/or are familiar with Kubernetes operators.
- You have built distributed solutions for configuration, monitoring and auto-mitigation of services.
- You have knowledge about service discovery, networking security, multi tenancy, database access, concurrency control or cache consistency.
- You are familiar with one or more open source projects, such as Redis, Prometheus, Grafana, Jaeger, ElasticSearch, Kibana, Spinnaker, Envoy and Istio.
- You have experience mentoring junior engineers or leading projects.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.