Niantic’s mission is to use emerging technology to enrich our experiences as human beings in the physical world. We build products that inspire movement, exploration, and face-to-face social interaction. Our mission is inherently human, and our People Operations team is at the forefront of that mission. Humans are fascinating – and can pose a great challenge. We need you for this challenge!
In this role you’ll be a strategic partner to leaders in our Tokyo, and Hong Kong offices, helping them grow diverse, high-performing teams aligned with our Niantic values while providing a wide variety of tactical support to APAC Niantics. You’ll act as a cultural ambassador between our global People Operations function and our teams on the ground, helping us balance between consistency with global practices and adaptation for cultural and legal variations. As our sole People Operations team representative in a growing region, you’ll happily wear many hats and collaborate with cross-functional colleagues to ensure a first-rate employee experience that enables Niantics to deliver their best work. You’ll also help the rest of the People Operations team by making our processes better! This role is not eligible for immigration sponsorship.
- Be the People Operations go-to for our APAC offices in Tokyo and Hong Kong. Be a collaborative partner that has a strong pulse of each office, a trusted partner to employees and leaders.
- Solve sophisticated issues through a people lens. Assertively dive into sticky situations, and develop short and long-term solutions that address the root causes of challenges to ensure teams are set up to meet their goals.
- Be a confidant and mentor across APAC to drive individual development, continuous improvement, and results.
- Provide expertise in domains including org design, employee engagement, performance management, employee relations, leave of absence, total rewards, learning and development and recruiting.
- Inspire change through people programs. Contribute to the design and lead the rollout of key programs (e.g. engagement action planning, performance management, compensation planning) for APAC teams.
- Lead employment contracts, handling immigration needs, a variety of compliance tasks and the APAC employee onboarding experience.
- Help us build integrated people practices taking regional insights into account.
- Partners with Business Operations to provide the People support and insight needed to deliver against our broader strategic goals for the region.
- Balances what's right for the employee and Niantic, operating with empathy and an analytical approach at all times.
- Business level proficiency in reading, writing and speaking both English and Japanese.
- Experience in an HR Business Partner or HR generalist role to have successfully delivered work for multiple companies in areas including: organizational design, coaching, diversity and inclusion, recruiting, performance management, employee relations, compensation and total rewards and talent management.
- Self-motivated, curious, highly collaborative, cool under pressure, can decompress tense situations, persistent in getting to the root of problems (and executing on solutions that solve them), and use judgment.
- Fast learner, able to partner with highly technical teams with varied specialisms.
- Prior experience in APAC HR within a global company.
- Cultural competence; ability to assume the best intent and recognise and adapt to differences in cultural norms.
- Understanding of Japanese employment law such that you can effectively partner with our Legal team on employee relations and compliance matters.
- Mandarin language proficiency.
- Knowledge of employment law in Hong Kong and India.
- BA/MA (ideally in HR, IO Psych, or related field) or MBA degree.
- Experience in startup and scaleup environments and enjoy the inventive, tenacious approach they require.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.