Niantic is looking for a dynamic Counsel or Senior Counsel to join the Commercial/ Marketing group of the Legal team. Niantic Legal partners with teams across the company to develop solutions for the legal challenges (and opportunities) we encounter as we continue to develop creative augmented reality experiences and platforms. You will support our Marketing and Events teams across a range of initiatives relating to our games, including traditional marketing programs, contests, and live events, related contracts, and you will also support negotiation of general technology contracts. Are you passionate about marketing and events, and technology contracts? We want you on our team. Title to reflect seniority and experience. This role is not eligible for immigration sponsorship.
- Work closely with our Marketing team to support programs globally for our mobile augmented reality games.
- Partner with our Events team to support live events from inception through execution, including community engagement events in partnership with cities and NGOs, and ticketed events of 10,000-plus players.
- Create and maintain marketing guidance based on brand guidelines for licensed IP and applicable law (advertising, analytics, social media, consumer protection, intellectual property, etc) across multiple jurisdictions and establish related trainings, forms and processes to maximize efficiency and velocity.
- Advise our Marketing team as they explore sophisticated analytics solutions and customer engagement programs.
- Work with Marketing/ Events and other internal clients (including the Business Development, Product, Finance and People teams) and legal colleagues to negotiate, draft and review a wide variety of intellectual property and commercial contracts. These will include influencers and talent, sponsorship, advertising, media placement, production, IP licensing and development, sponsored locations, SaaS agreements, vendor agreements, and professional services contracts regarding our games and AR platform.
- Ensure agreements align with Niantic’s business objectives, policies and risk tolerance.
- Advise Niantics on legal issues and risks, company policies and procedures, and negotiation strategy.
- Think creatively about novel legal issues arising from real-world location-based games.
- Contribute to the design and continuous improvement of standard forms, trainings, legal processes and systems to help us scale with the business and maximize efficiency and velocity.
- You have 3 to 7 years experience working in a creative legal environment.
- You have a JD with strong academic credentials.
- You are passionate about marketing, events, IP and contracts and have broad experience with technology transaction work, ideally in a technology or media/entertainment setting.
- You enjoy working with diverse, cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- You are a member in good standing of the California Bar, or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.