We are looking for an experienced full stack engineer and inspirational leader to oversee development of one of Niantic's key tentpole franchises. As the Technical Director on the project, you will be responsible for leading both the server team and the game client team, collaborating with other leaders across multiple disciplines, including design, art, marketing, and operations. This position is not eligible for immigration sponsorship.
- Lead a team of engineers to develop client and server side features to deliver an outstanding gameplay experience.
- Oversee all technical aspects of the project, including creation of technical designs, sprint planning, prioritization, documentation, and development processes.
- Actively manage the performance of your team through mentoring, conducting regular 1:1s, and setting clear and actionable goals.
- Partner closely with Niantic’s product organization and effectively collaborate with other departments to ensure high-quality features and launches in a timely manner.
- A minimum of seven years working in well-established game development studios, with at least some of that time in a lead role.
- Experience developing server stacks operating in public cloud IaaS or PaaS, such as AWS or Google Cloud Platform.
- Developed multiple games in different game engines on various platforms, particularly Unity3D.
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- Proficient in C++, C#, and Java.
- Passionate about sharing knowledge and happy to coach your junior colleagues.
- Have shipped more than one major title.
- Experience developing AR games.
- Familiarity with iOS and Android development.
- Been the engineering lead of a large, successful massively multiplayer game with both a scalable-server component as well as a client app.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.