a little bit about us
We're on a mission to simplify the everyday lives of consumers. We believe post-purchase is a critical phase of the customer journey. That's why we created Narvar - a platform focused on driving customer loyalty through seamless post-purchase experiences that allow retailers to retain, engage, and delight customers. If you've ever bought something online, there's a good chance you've used our platform!
From the hottest new direct-to-consumer companies to retail’s most renowned brands, Narvar works with Levi's, Estee Lauder, Coach, TUMI, and 500+ other brands. With offices in San Francisco, London, and Bangalore, together we've served over 306 million consumers worldwide across 5 billion interactions, 38 countries, and 50 languages.
Pioneering the post-purchase movement means navigating into the unknown. Our team thrives on this sense of adventure while nurturing a mindset of innovation. We're a home for big hearts and we leave our egos at the door. We work hard but we always make time to celebrate professional wins, baby showers, birthday parties, and everything in between.
As an Engineering Manager of the Backend team, you'll partner with our product team to develop experiences for our clients and their end consumers. You will play a meaningful role in amplifying the value of our platform by assuring the seamless development and deployment of our product. You will lead complex technical projects, grow and mentor a high performing team, and be an integral part of the hiring process.
what you'll do
- Partner with product and design teams to design, develop, test, and implement features and functionality using an iterative and agile development methodology
- Attract, retain, develop, and lead top engineering talent
- Collaborate with other leaders to align the technical vision given product and operational needs
- Roll up your sleeves to code, review, or write technical specifications or technical design docs alongside your team when needed
- Coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels
- Strive to continuously improve scalability, performance, and reliability of systems
- Work closely with the team to prioritize and manage workload - synthesize and summarize progress to upper management, escalating concerns when and where needed
- Foster a culture of creativity, collaboration, speed, innovation, excellence, and fun
what we're looking for
- You have a strong CS foundation with a BS/MS/PhD in computer science, information systems, or similar degree
- You have 7+ years of software development experience (including experience as a technical lead) and 1+ years of people management experience
- You've built high performing, scalable, highly available, and reliable distributed systems
- You have experience with Java (or equivalent languages), JVM, cloud technologies (AWS or GCS), schema design, optimization, query analysis, and databases
- You invest in people, amplify their strengths, and multiply their impact
- You're a team player who works closely with others and is motivated by impact
- You adopt agile practices, use iterative learning loops, and plan and ship projects on time
- You excel in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment with a flat organizational structure
- You're a great listener and strong communicator with a high EQ
- You understand the importance of an engineering culture that is fun, diverse, inclusive, and challenging
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.