MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™ option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to benefit the world with new materials that offer superior performance to animal leathers and plastic. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we’re building with customers, partners, and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MycoWorks is seeking an experienced researcher responsible for planning and executing solid state fermentation based experiments under the direction of Sr. Scientists. The ideal candidate will have a deep aptitude towards translating fundamental Microbiology, Biochemistry and/or Fermentation technology learnings towards understanding the biochemical/morphological changes accompanying mycelial growth to help the team design fermentation processes best suited at industrial scale. The candidate will work with folks with a variety of expertise within the team and cross-functionally including mycologists and other microbiologists, experts from downstream processing, quality, tech transfer as well as from leather product development.
FUNCTIONAL EXPECTATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- M.S. or Ph. D. in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering or a related field; 2-4 years applied research experience in biotechnology, bioprocess development, fermentation, or a comparable combination in an industrial or academic setting
- Extensive experience with experimental design, data analysis, and managing parallel experiments is a must
- Meticulous at aseptic technique
- Ability to work successfully independently as well as within a technical team, and cross-functionally
- Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work with others, and meet milestones in a fast-paced setting
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, effectively tailored to audiences of different knowledge levels
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to learn new methodologies for changing research priorities
Preferred areas of specialization
- Prior experience in DOE developing industrial fermentation is highly desirable
- Experience with solid-state fermentation and fungal fermentation will be a big plus
- Experience in profiling and characterizing lignocellulosic biomass and fermentation of lignocellulosic material will be a big advantage
- Design, execute and analyze carefully controlled experiments to improve mycelia product quality based on understanding mycelial growth, substrate, and environment
- Develop biochemical and other methods to characterize fungal growth
- Develop and document novel protocols for producing innovative biomaterials
- Troubleshoot process parameters and experiments
- Sophisticated information management of laboratory data and documentation, including large experimental datasets and SOPs
- Communicate results of experimental and process design work cross-functionally
- Assist in transferring technology from lab to production scale
- Help establish and maintain fermentation research laboratory
- Potential management of laboratory technicians and support personnel
The functions described above may not be the only requirements of the position. Other responsibilities may be necessary, as required by MycoWorks team members.