MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™ option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to benefit the world with new materials that offer superior performance to animal leathers and plastic. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we’re building with customers, partners, and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MycoWorks is seeking an experienced individual accountable for fungal strain procurement as well as long-term strain preservation and validation in the Fine Mycelium Research & Development (FMRD) group. The incumbent candidate would focus on the mycelium strains for solid and liquid state fermentation process development all geared towards developing a robust scalable process best suited for industrial scale. The candidate will work with folks with a variety of expertise within the team and cross-functionally including Upstream Processing, Downstream Processing, Engineering, Quality and Technology Transfer teams, as well as folks from production department.
- Will manage mycology team member who executes, analyzes and reports on mycelium strain handing for preservation and scale-up
- Will work in close collaboration with the upstream team and leads strategic initiatives to drive mycelium culture collection and implementation
- Lead collaborative projects with FMRD team for inoculum development for different groups in the company including Engineering and Production
- Will work with our Quality and Operations team in developing processes that meet all the cleanliness and contamination free conditions for small as well as large scale
- Will lead key partnerships with external labs, technical partners and other partners for mycelium fermentation development
- Supports glycerol vials preservation and other long-term preservation methods for mycelium strains
- Helps drive company vision and initiatives within FMRD development group
- Support further development of FMRD function within the company
- The functions described above may not be the only requirements of the position. Other responsibilities may be necessary, as required by MycoWorks team members.
- B.S with 10+ years, M.S. with 5+ years or Ph. D. with 3+ years of experience in biochemical engineering, biochemistry, microbiology, or a related field, or a comparable combination of experience and training
- Procurement of mycelium strains, and maintaining strain inventory is critical
- Prior extensive experience in mycology scale-up processes is required
- Experience preserving the mycelium strains for long duration is a plus
- Extensive experience with data analysis and managing parallel experimental streams is a must
Preferred Areas of Specialization
- Experience with solid-state as well as liquid mycelium fermentation will be a big plus
- Prior fungal fermentation experience for scale-up is desired