MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™ option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to benefit the world with new materials that offer superior performance to animal leathers and plastic. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we’re building with customers, partners, and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mycoworks is seeking a Lead Senior Scientist to support our downstream Process Development efforts. The ideal candidate will have a deep aptitude towards understanding the chemistry/biochemistry of our mycelial material post-fermentation and it’s interaction with different chemical species in order to develop the material/product attribute as required by our customers, application and targets. The role will require the candidate to explore and develop chemical/biochemical approaches and unit operations to transform mycelia into leather-like material enabling development of a scale-able process. This role will require leading cross functional projects with our Fermentation, Quality, Tech transfer as well as Product teams.
- Management of a team of 2-3 including process engineers, scientists, associates and technicians
- Gain thorough understanding of the biochemical composition of the mycelial substrate
- Develop innovative chemical and biochemical pathways to processes and deliver material with extraordinary performance
- Record and analyze data, manage documentation and communicate/present results within and outside the team
- Troubleshoot process parameters and experiments
- Sophisticated information management of laboratory data and documentation, including large experimental datasets and SOPs
- Assist in transferring technology from lab to production scale
- Help establish and maintain research laboratory for downstream material development
- M.S. with ten plus years of experience, or Ph. D. and five plus years of experience in Biochemistry, Chemical/bioprocess Engineering, Chemistry, Material sciences or related field, or a comparable combination of experience and training
- Deep understanding of chemical transformations and unit operations for designing processes for efficient diffusion, absorption, binding, mixing, etc of chemicals is required
- Previous experience with Biochemical transformations is a must. Experience with enzymatic transformations will be an added advantage
- Extensive experience and proven capability to independently design, analyze and manage parallel experiment streams is a must
- Previous demonstrated experience of technical leadership including people’s management experience is needed
- Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work with others, and meet milestones in a fast-paced setting
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, effectively tailored to audiences of different knowledge levels
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to learn new methodologies for changing research priorities and thriving in multidisciplinary setups required
Preferred Areas of Specialization:
- Previous leather tanning and finishing chemistry experience not a prerequisite but will be a plus
- Experience with characterizing and analyzing biological materials will be an added advantage
- Familiarity with basic textile/leather characterization tests like tensile, tear, crocking, abrasion, multi-way stretch, moisture management/breathability, etc. will be a plus