Muck Rack is the leading SaaS platform for public relations and communications professionals. Our mission is to enable organizations to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media. Muck Rack’s Public Relations Management (PRM) platform enables PR teams to work together to find the right journalists for their stories, send customized pitches, build meaningful relationships with the media, monitor news, and quantify their impact.
Founder controlled, fully distributed, and growing sustainably, Muck Rack has received several awards for its unparalleled culture and product from organizations like Inc., G2, and BuiltIn. We value resilience, transparency, ownership, & customer devotion and infuse these values into everything we do.
We’re looking for a talented and motivated senior software engineer, front-end to join our team and make a big impact.
As a senior software engineer, front-end on the Front-end Platform team, you’ll work closely with design, engineering, and product to help us improve our frontend web stack, optimize for performance, expand our design system, enhance our monitoring and observability capabilities, and provide support to other engineering teams building new and impactful user-facing features on Muck Rack.
Our tech stack includes Python, Django, MySQL, Vue.js, Sass, PostCSS, Webpack, Jest, Playwright, Storybook, Celery, Elasticsearch, and more. Our engineering team is focused on scale, quality, delivery, and thoughtful user experience. We ship frequently without sacrificing work/life balance.
To be set up for success in this role, you’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of professional experience as a frontend software engineer, focused on frontend architecture, performance and profiling, design systems, and testing frameworks
- Proficiency with Django or a similar web framework
- Experience with modern testing frameworks like Jest and Playwright
- Experience with monitoring and observability tools like Sentry
If any of the below also describe you, this could be an exciting opportunity:
- Works on complex, high-traffic web applications at a startup or SaaS company and takes part in architecting frontend codebases, design systems, and testing frameworks (unit, end-to-end)
- Deftly handles problems that arise while maintaining a complex frontend codebase (ie. performance bottlenecks, user issues, browser bugs, visual discrepancies, and more),
- Relies on tools like Sentry to monitor critical infrastructure and respond to issues
- Builds interactive and easy-to-use user interface components with a foundational understanding of frontend-to-backend communication, responsive design, grid layout systems, common UI patterns, SEO best practices, accessibility and web typography
- Evaluates the technical feasibility of product specifications and designs and bridges the gap between concepts and technical implementation
- Values user-friendliness, speed, scalability, consistency and accessibility over style and aesthetics, but still recognizes their importance
In addition, we’re always looking for candidates who:
- Have excellent communication skills, with an ability to explain ideas clearly, give and receive feedback, and foster a good rapport with teammates
- Take pride in the quality of their code (Your code should be readable, testable, and understandable years later. You adhere to the Zen of Python.)
- Work well in a fast-paced development environment with testing, continuous integration and multiple daily deploys
- Have the ability to manage complexity in a large project, and incur technical debt only after considering the tradeoffs
- Take a logical approach to problem solving that combines analytical thinking and intuition
- Have an interest in journalism, news, media or social media
Below you'll find an outline of the interview plan for this role. Please note that this is what we expect the process to look like; we may ask you for supplemental information or require an additional step before making a final decision.
- 30 min interview with a member of our Talent Team
- 45 min interview with the hiring manager
- Take-home coding assignment (2 hours max)
- 30 minute code review discussion
- Two 30 min peer panel interviews
- Two final 30 min executive interviews
The starting salary for this role is between $140,000 - $170,000, depending on skills and experience. We take a geo-neutral approach to compensation within the US, meaning that we pay based on job function and level, not location. For all other countries, we have competitive pay bands based on market standards.
Why Muck Rack?
Remote Work, Forever. We’re a fully distributed team and have pledged to remain that way forever. We offer employees a full home office setup, phone & internet reimbursement, and a monthly coworking membership. We build culture through virtual and in-person team bonding opportunities including team lunches, friendly competitions, and celebratory events!
Transparent Compensation. We offer competitive geo-neutral pay in the U.S. and review compensation at least once annually to ensure internal equity and alignment with the external market. Depending on the role, we offer either a standardized bonus program or attainable commission structure and an opportunity to earn equity in the company. All employees are eligible for our 401(k) plan* with employer contributions.
Health & Wellness*. Muck Rack provides comprehensive health, dental, vision, and disability insurance for employees and their families. We offer two plans with 100% premium coverage for individuals and 85% premium coverage for dependents, as well as a range of other plans. Our team also has access to OneMedical, 24/7 Virtual Care, an Employee Assistance Program, as well as FSA and HSA options. Team members have access to a quarterly wellness stipend and a free Headspace subscription.
PTO and Family Benefits. Our team enjoys 4+ weeks of off-the-grid PTO, plus paid sick/mental health days, summer Fridays, and 13 paid holidays. In order to combat Zoom fatigue and allow for deep work without interruption, we have implemented “No Internal Meeting Fridays” year round. We also provide up to 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave.
Personal & Professional Development. We grow talent by creating internal pathways for advancement and promotion. Muck Rack conducts bi-annual performance reviews, hosts team-wide workshops, and offers management training and leadership training opportunities. We also provide unlimited subscriptions to L&D platforms including Coursera & O’Reilly, as well as 2 additional days of PTO to dedicate to learning and development.
Culture of Inclusion. We know that diverse perspectives breed innovation and help us better serve our customers. We are committed to ensuring employees feel their identities are valued and that people of all backgrounds and points of view are treated equitably.
Customer-First. Founder-controlled means we have the freedom to be nimble, highly collaborative and innovative, building forward-thinking products that enable 3,000+ companies around the world to build trust, tell their stories and demonstrate the unique value of earned media.
*These benefits are specific to US-based employees. In some, but not all, cases we are able to offer equivalent benefits to employees located outside of the United States.