Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
At Mojang, we create games, products and services to inspire creativity. We develop games with a strong community focus and put players first in everything we do. Our games are built for everyone, because we believe in demonstrating equality and not just talking about it.
We are looking for an Engineering Director to lead the Engineering function for our Games Foundation area in Stockholm. Games Foundation is a team of 40+ amazing people, building tools and services for our games, both Minecraft and new titles within our Franchise. A lot of our work is building out a scalable service architecture for our games.
As an Engineering Director at Mojang you will be a senior member of the Engineering organization and be a part of setting the studios Technical Strategy and own the technical strategy for Games Foundation. You will work closely with your Product counterpart to define and implement a product and technology strategy that supports the internal customers strategies, most of our customers are other engineers. In this role you lead other leaders and drive impact through your Engineering Managers and by promoting great engineering practices as well as progress on the tech strategy.
You will work with the teams to ensure that what we build is scalable, robust as well as making sure that technical debt is known and repaid continuously.
This role reports to Head of Engineering in Stockholm. Game Foundations sits in Stockholm but also collaborates with teams in our Redmond (US) studio.
- Hiring, coaching and growing your org, drive impact through others.
- Create a high performing culture based on trust.
- Organizational design, incl budget input and capacity allocation across teams.
- Lead the tech org when it comes to technical health including paying back tech debt and building with quality.
- Accountable for tech vision and strategy within your area as well as actively contributing to overall Mojang Tech strategy.
- Take active part in your areas product strategy to ensure our tech can support the business.
- Actively participate in the Mojang Services community to influence and drive our services architecture across Mojang
- Identifying technical areas for collaboration with Mojang as well as the wider Xbox organization.
- You love leading and developing people and have a proven track record leading leaders.
- You have extensive experience as an Engineer prior to becoming an Engineering leader.
- You have a deep understanding of how to translate product and business goals into tech strategies.
- You have experience helping developers towards delivering timely, high-quality products together with them.
- You have experience leading teams in a cloud-native, microservices space preferably within a platform or foundational team.
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment.
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!