Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
Mojang is looking for a UX/UI designer to work with new game experiences with the Minecraft Dungeons team, our latest addition to the Minecraft family. For this role we expect you to put our players first and champion an excellent user experience throughout the game. In order to achieve this, you’ll design, prototype, and help implement user flows and features that support the game design. You’ll be working closely with game designers, developers, and UI artists.
You’ll also be a part of the company-wide Design team, which collaborates on projects and aligns design across Mojang. The Design team meets several times a week to share any work in progress, give and receive feedback, and help each other. The team aims for a transparent and inclusive workflow in order to learn from each other and align our work efforts.
- Creating wireframes, UI design, and following through to implementation in the game engine
- Design and help implement high-quality user experiences
- Drive team collaboration with user research, acting as a bridge between game design and user testing
- Work with our Data and Analytics team to gather insights and form hypotheses
- Collaborate with our UI artists to make sure that the experiences we build aren’t just intuitive and easy to use, but feel immersive and playful
- Evaluate designs post-release and suggest changes to improve the user experience
- Own and maintain a holistic picture of the UX across the game
To succeed in this role, we believe that you should have some of the following:
- UX/UI Designer with experience working in console games
- Deep understanding of the design process, including what roles qualitative and quantitative data play in it
- Excellent communication and presentation skills — being able to show and explain your process and reasoning inside and outside the team
- Experience working with a multitude of input models, especially including gamepad, touch, and mouse + keyboard
- Experience with Figma, XD, or similar design tool
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!