Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
As a UX/UI Designer at Mojang Studios, your role is to help millions of players find the fun faster with improved usability in Minecraft’s UI. You’ll be working closely with others in a cross-functional team consisting of developers, a UI artist, and a producer. The team's focus is on the game's interface and redesigning them using patterns and components from a design system. Figma is the primary design tool for wireframes, mock-ups, prototypes, and hand over to developers.
You’ll also be a part of the Design team, which collaborates on projects and aligns design across Mojang. The Design team meets several times a week to share any work in progress, give and receive feedback, and help each other. The team aims for a transparent and inclusive workflow in order to learn from each other and align our work efforts.
We — of course — love playing games, and we're looking for someone with a playful and open mindset. You don't have to identify as a gamer to fit in or perform well here.
What you will be doing
- Driving the UX and UI work of one of the world's most popular games
- Design features and products together with the team and people at Mojang
- Work with our data and analytics team to gather insights and form hypotheses
- Work with usability experts to test your designs and hypotheses
- Collaborate with our UI artists to make sure that the experiences we build aren’t just intuitive and easy to use, but feel immersive and playful
- Work on a wide array of platforms, e.g. Mac/Windows, iPhone, Android, and Xbox including a range of input methods like touch, controller, mouse, etc.
- Highly experienced UX/UI Designer, Product Designer, or similar
- Experience with Figma, Sketch, or similar design tool
- Ability to drive design initiatives from ideas to finished design
- Deep understanding of the design process, including what roles qualitative and quantitative data play in it
- Ability to work together with developers, designers and other stakeholders
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!