Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
As a Senior Combat Designer on the Minecraft Dungeons team, you will be primarily responsible for shaping the game’s moment-to-moment action and short-term gameplay loops. You will design combat, movement and action mechanics, and implement them together with the team. You will be mindful of multiple types of input across several different platforms, including gamepads, mouse and keyboard, and touch. You will also lead the creation of items and abilities, working closely with a system designer to determine balance and working them into the game’s overall progression. You will collaborate closely with other designers, creative stakeholders and programmers, in a highly iterative process, to ensure the game is well-balanced, fun and rewarding.
Since you will tweak numbers directly in the code you need programming or scripting experience. We also think you have a strong desire to learn what makes Minecraft lovable for such a huge and diverse player base, and how to balance and tune systems for Minecraft Dungeons to ensure we keep that magic of Minecraft while also always updating and improving it.
Your tasks will include...
- Designing excellent, arcade-style movement, combat, and other short-term game loops that feel impactful, immediate and rewarding
- Collaborate with your team and others at the company on creating the best experience for our players and on ensuring we follow our creative vision for Minecraft
- Defining how multiple types of input lead to a shared, high-quality experience
- Creating and tuning items and abilities that tie into the player progression
- Work closely with designers, artists, developers and our audio team to determine asset, development and production requirements for combat, movement and items at scale
- Analyse how players use our current game systems to help us understand how they can be improved through balance or design changes
- Gather and act on feedback with the aim to create the best possible experience for many types of players. We are very happy about our diverse player base, and put a lot of effort into thinking about all players when designing Minecraft Dungeons.
- A strong understanding of game design overall
- Excellent grasp of moment-to-moment action design, input and feedback
- Experience working as a game designer in the industry
- Experience working with console game titles
- Ability to evaluate game systems and identify game design issues
- Ability to suggest high quality solutions to game design issues
- Desire to be part of a creative and highly collaborative team and ability to take feedback and direction
- UX knowledge and experience with a multitude of input methods
- Mathematical foundations to underpin combat design
- Experience with multiplayer game design
- The team values inclusivity, diversity, transparency and collaboration – as you’ll be working closely with us, we hope you’ll feel the same way!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!