Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
As an Art Director at Mojang Studios, you will be part of the Minecraft team in Stockholm. The Minecraft team keeps expanding to help realize the dream of a better Minecraft experience, a game enjoyed by over 100,000,000 players worldwide. We have big dreams for the future of Minecraft and our studio, and need your help making them happen!
As Art Director you will be responsible for guiding the visuals of the game: Minecraft Dungeons. You will be working with multiple internal and external teams, creating new and exciting visual experiences. It's a unique challenge and opportunity to adopt the unique look of Minecraft to new products and audiences, with modern tools, at significant scale!
You will be using your excellent skills in providing concepts, guidance, hands-on work, support and tools for our team to successfully help the team deliver great, high quality and on brand assets in accordance with the team’s goals. In close collaboration with the Producers, Art leads and artists, you will make sure we have a clear and documented Art direction, as well as creating a fun and inspiring environment!
Some of your tasks will be
- Guide and develop the Art Direction for the product using concepts and other benchmarking assets to establish quality standards and inspire others.
- Coordinate all artistic contributions and make sure they are compliant with the art direction of the product and the creative direction of the franchise.
- Create comprehensive style guides and documentation.
- Establish and maintain pipelines and structure, so the artists on the team can deliver according to the quality and goals.
- Collaborate with other art directors across the company in defining and continuing to develop Minecraft’s unique visual style.
- Make sure the team is healthy and have the right tools to be able to deliver on their tasks.
- Grow a healthy, collaborative, passionate, fun and creative culture.
- Take overarching strategy and vision from creative leadership into art execution in a product.
- You have extensive experience crafting video game art and have experience in shipping game products from conception to release.
- Have the ability to visualise projects with craft and care as well as delivering them from concept to execution.
- A desire to work closely with game design to make sure the game's art improves the player experience.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal abilities.
- Great collaborator and communicator as you have to work with different skills and levels of experience such as Project, Design, in-house teams and Marketing.
- Comfortable in a wide range of styles.
- Ability to make a direct contribution to the creation of art visualization through hands on examples
- You are highly organized and able to work with a broad team of experts, to direct multiple pipelines and resources. And of course, you are a team player and humble enough to realize when you need others to succeed with your mission!
Nice to have
- A background in, or great knowledge of low-poly 3D and “pixel art”. Which makes up a big foundation of Minecraft’s visual identity.
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!