Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first solution to cover the full spectrum of mental well-being needs through both evidence-based digital content and professional support from a global network of certified coaches or therapists all in one comprehensive app. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all of their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company, backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 220+ global companies like Lyft, SoFi, Pixar, Gusto, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status. We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission.
In 2020 we tripled our employee headcount, doubled our customer base and grew our revenue 10x. As a hyper-growth company we have maintained our people-first culture winning awards including Fortune’s Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021 and maintaining an employee retention rate of 99.97% and an overall Glassdoor rating of 4.9 out of 5.
An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you’re excited about this role, we’d love to hear from you!
As an early member of the commercial legal team, you will handle a wide variety of commercial legal work, including review of sales, partnership and vendor agreements and projects related to support of our marketing, customer success, sales, product, engineering and operations teams. You will drive projects to help the company scale, contribute to improving existing processes, and spearhead new initiatives. In this role, you will report to the Legal Director overseeing commercial legal matters.
We’re committed to the health and safety of the community, so our team is currently working remotely and will continue to do so for the near term. Permanently remote opportunities are specifically indicated. This position is not eligible to be performed in Colorado or Hawaii.
What You’ll Do-
- Work closely with the Sales, Care and Operations team on negotiating arrangements with our prospective commercial partners and suppliers
- Work cross functionally to support product development and launch initiatives, including internationally
- Propose and create internal process improvements and standard practices, including creating playbooks and internal resources for the Legal and other teams
- Lead initiatives related to internal contracting processes, including improvements to our contract management solution
- Collaborate with the Sales and Marketing teams to ensure that all customer-facing material presents our product and company fairly and accurately
- Negotiate vendor deals and assist different teams in assessing risk related to purchasing by the company
- Collaborate closely with other members of the legal team to achieve common goals and objectives
- Propose creative ideas as to how we can work within the law to provide amazing user experiences
Who You Are-
- 2+ years of combined, relevant experience in in-house legal departments and/or law firms
- Experience reviewing and negotiating customer and vendor-facing commercial deals, including data protection agreements
- Experience with cross-functional collaboration and project management
- Experience with creating processes to increase efficiency of the legal and other teams
- Experience working on commercial matters in health technology sector is a big plus
- Experience advising on international deals is also a plus
- Demonstrated business judgment, intellectual creativity, and rigorous problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide pragmatic advice on complex legal matters
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills with a persistent eye toward problem-solving
- Adept at operating in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- 100% coverage for Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance (and dependents covered at 50%)
- High deductible health plan option with health savings account
- Modern Health product or equivalent cost of external care
- Flexible PTO
- Company-wide mental health days
- Unlimited career growth opportunity
- Parental leave policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial planning through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- WFH Equipment Stipend
- Natural Disaster Relief Stipend
- Mod Squad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more!