Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first solution to cover the full spectrum of mental well-being needs through both evidence-based technology and professional support from a certified coach or therapist. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all of their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company, backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, and Y Combinator, and partner with companies like Pixar, Gusto, Okta, EA, and Nextdoor that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $42 million and is looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission.
An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you’re excited about this role, we’d love to hear from you!
As an early member of the legal team, you will handle a wide range of work focused on regulatory compliance, privacy issues, and related projects to scale the company’s products and services and enhance our compliance infrastructure. This role will work closely with our operations, security, and product teams, but will collaborate with almost every function at the company. Reporting to the General Counsel, this role will be a key advisor to the business and will reinforce our culture of compliance.
What You’ll Do-
- Interpret and analyze laws/regulations at the state and federal levels applicable to the provision of mental health and wellness services;
- Provide strategic advice and guidance on applicable healthcare-related legal obligations to a range of internal stakeholders;
- Lead regulatory compliance projects to support the company’s business objectives domestically and in non-US jurisdictions, including working cross-functionally on privacy and security matters;
- Advise the product team on legal requirements applicable to existing and proposed products and features, and propose creative ideas as to how we can work within the law to provide amazing user experiences;
- Proactively assess legal risks with proposed initiatives, provide advice on compliance gaps, and assist with the development of corrective action plans as needed;
- Monitor legislative and rule-making activities that could materially impact business objectives and, as appropriate, shape Modern Health’s legislative efforts and/or draft comments advancing Modern Health’s views.
Who You Are-
- 7+ years of legal and compliance experience at a technology company operating in a heavily regulated space, a mid to large-sized law firm, and/or in government, with a preference for experience with healthcare laws and regulations;
- J.D. from a top law school and excellent academic credentials;
- Adept at operating in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment, and managing competing priorities under demanding deadlines;
- Experience providing guidance on healthcare-related regulatory compliance matters and putting systems into place to meet applicable requirements, including defining, drafting and implementing policies and procedures;
- Experience advising on product launches in a highly regulated space, including advising on legal issues arising from international operations;
- Proven ability to work cross functionally and with upper management to achieve compliance objectives with support from internal business partners;
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills with a persistent eye toward problem-solving;
- California Bar admission in good standing (or Registered In-House Counsel status with California State Bar)
- 100% coverage for Medical / Dental / Vision
- Stipend towards mental health benefits
- 401k plan
- Flexible PTO
- Passionate team dedicated to making a positive impact
- Awesome office with snacks and catered lunch in the Financial District
- Generous parental leave policy
- Unlimited career growth opportunity