Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first solution to cover the full spectrum of mental well-being needs through both evidence-based technology and professional support from a certified coach or therapist. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all of their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company, backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with companies like Lyft, SoFi, Pixar, Gusto, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $95 million and is looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission.
In 2020 we have doubled the number of customers since March, revenue has grown 25 times, and we have built a global network of mental health experts in 30 countries.
An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you’re excited about this role, we’d love to hear from you!
We’re committed to the health and safety of the community, so our team is currently working remotely and will continue to do so for the near term. Permanently remote opportunities are specifically indicated. Modern Health is based in San Francisco, but the location for this role is flexible.
As an early member of the legal team, you will oversee a wide range of regulatory legal work concerning the provision of mental health and well being services through the company’s digital platform. This role will work closely with our Clinical Care, Operations, and Product teams but will collaborate with almost every function at the company. Reporting to the General Counsel, this role will be a key advisor to the business.
What You’ll Do-
- Advise on anti-kickback, corporate practice, telehealth, and other state and federal legal regimes regulating the provision of health care services, particularly mental health and wellness
- Provide strategic advice on regulatory legal matters affecting the company’s provision of products and services in non-US jurisdictions
- Lead efforts to build the regulatory legal function at Modern Health, including driving projects to build internal structure and process for a growing company
- Become a thought partner to our Clinical Care and Product teams on digital health matters as they develop products and features and propose creative ideas as to how we can work within the law to provide amazing user experiences
- Proactively assess legal risks with proposed initiatives, provide advice on compliance gaps, and assist with the development of corrective action plans as needed
- Monitor legislative and rule-making activities that could materially impact business objectives and, as appropriate, shape Modern Health’s legislative efforts and/or draft comments advancing Modern Health’s views
Who You Are-
- 7+ years of regulatory legal experience at a technology company operating in a heavily regulated space, a mid to large-sized law firm, and/or in government, with a preference for digital and/or telehealth experiences
- J.D. from a top law school and excellent academic credentials
- Adept at operating in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment and managing competing priorities under demanding deadlines
- Experience providing strategic guidance on healthcare regulatory matters, working with regulators, and developing approaches that satisfy regulatory objective while also achieving clients’ business goals
- Experience advising on product launches in a highly regulated space
- Experience advising on regulatory matters arising in non-US jurisdictions
- Proven ability to work cross functionally and with upper management to achieve regulatory objectives with support from internal business partners
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and excel in new or emerging areas of legal practice
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills with a persistent eye toward problem-solving
- California Bar admission in good standing (or Registered In-House Counsel status with California State Bar)
- 100% coverage for Medical / Dental / Vision
- Stipend towards mental health benefits
- 401k plan
- Flexible PTO
- Passionate team dedicated to making a positive impact
- Awesome office with snacks and catered lunch in the Financial District
- Generous parental leave policy
- Unlimited career growth opportunity