We are an AI start-up building the technological and real estate infrastructure to facilitate the future of mobility. We’ve deployed to four metropolitan markets and touched more than 100,000 users across our business and consumer products. We’re rapidly expanding to new markets, building our technical capabilities, and partnering with industry leaders to positively impact our communities.
- Investment: Metropolis completed its seed financing round of $20 million in early 2019 and expects to complete a substantial round of funding within the year. The seed round included world class investors like Slow Ventures, Zigg Capital and prominent private investors in early-stage companies.
- Market Size: $500 billion
- Attractive compensation and generous benefits package (100% Medical, 50% Vision and 50% Dental)
- Company 401(k) match up to 6% of salary.
- Paid company snacks and after-hour meals
- Unlimited paid time off
- Gym reimbursement program
- 529 savings plan
- Commuter benefits
We are a tight-knit team with a vision for the mobility hubs of tomorrow. We started at a small garage in Venice and are now expanding to hundreds of locations nationwide. We bring expertise in tech, mobility, finance, real estate, and parking. We take risks, make mistakes, and challenge the status quo. We are inventors who wonder what could be.
We believe life should be fun. As a team, we host dinners, board game nights, company-wide trivia competitions, trips to new launch markets, group personal training and more. We’re all currently remote, and while the pandemic added a new challenge, we believe building a strong, connected team is foundational to our long-term success.
Metropolis offers an opportunity to be at the forefront of designing mobility for the future. Parking, last mile transport, transportation networks, autonomous vehicles, and even vertical take-off and landing — we’re building the infrastructure to support how people and goods move. We are growing fast and looking for highly motivated, passionate individuals to join our team.
Position Overview and Responsibilities
The company is seeking a Product Designer to lead the design of our mobility hubs and apps. As the founding member of the User Experience team, you will have a unique opportunity to shape the digital and physical design of our product.
We have a unique product that connects the online and offline worlds, and presents unique UX problems that would challenge the most talented product designers. Most companies have a digital product that can be designed and optimized based on easily-obtainable key metrics. In our case, not only do we have to come up with the optimal design for our digital products, but we also have to ensure that these designs seamlessly connect with physical assets, like signage, that we have deployed in our facilities.
In this role you will also be challenged to reimagine the user experience of products in an industry that has seen little to no innovation in decades. Our goal is for customers to visit our locations and immediately realize — based primarily on your work — that they are in no ordinary facility.
- Problem solve, think big, and explore divergent concepts/ideas while understanding how to converge and build iteratively towards your vision.
- Plan strategically and think tactically as a partner with Product and Engineering to define the future of the team.
- Influence the shape of the product with research and data while executing design work using high quality wireframes, mockups, user journeys, and cross-platform interactive prototypes.
- Advocate for design by sharing your work and presenting cross-functionally, while being able to precisely articulate design rationale.
- Inspire the entire team (including your cross-functional partners) by bringing new ideas to the table.
- Create a unified, end-to-end experience through close collaboration with the Product and Engineering Teams.
Requirements and Qualifications
- 7+ years of experience working in UX, UI, HCI related field with experience working on mobile.
- Experience designing on multiple platforms (e.g., iOS, Android, Mobile web, Desktop).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Highly proficient with design tools (e.g., Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Highly proficient with interactive prototyping tools (e.g., Framer, Principle, Origami, Invision Studio).
- Excellence in design craft.
- Ability to work with a low-ego, highly collaborative, cross-functional team.
- Excited about working in a fast-paced, dynamic startup environment.