MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs.
MaRS supports promising high-growth companies to scale their businesses globally, while tackling key societal challenges in areas such as Health, Cleantech, Finance, Transportation, AI, and others. In addition to helping start-ups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries, and driving ideas to impact.
About the Role
The Senior Associate of Media Relations is a cross-functional role supporting the Senior Manager, Programming and Communications on corporate PR, media, events and content. Ecosystem communication strategy plays a large part in this position with responsibilities that include raising awareness of new programs while adhering to core MaRS and MarCom strategy. The role of Senior Associate of Media Relations also involves collaboration with the Manager of Ventures to support startups with communications activities with a specific focus on supporting clients of the PR Accelerator.
- Corporate PR and Communications
- Support with corporate press releases and key messages for MaRS in collaboration with the Senior Manager, Programming and Communications, VP, Strategic Communications, and CHRO
- Provide briefing documents to the CEO for secured media opportunities
- Develop media pitches and initiate outreach to top-tier media on behalf of the CEO and executive team at MaRS
- Support with op-ed development for the CEO and executive team and support with securing media placement of the op-eds
- Support the Senior Manager, Programming and Communications on program and media outreach around internal marquee events (e.g. MaRS Impact Week, Nuit Blanche, Collision)
- Responsible for responding to inbound questions and media requests and via the MaRS Corporate Media Inbox
- Maintain relationships with key media and present partnership opportunities (e.g. Yahoo Finance, Daily Hive (Resulting in video partnership), Financial Post (Resulting in video placement in Innovation Nation)
- Support business units across MaRS by developing media strategies around events and forums (e.g. MIT Inclusive Innovation Challenge, Opioid Data Challenge, The Healthy Neighbourhoods Data Challenge, Ontario Power Generation Challenge)
- Record, track and calculate the Corporate PR metrics for board and quarterly reporting through Meltwater and Excel
- PR Accelerator
- Collaborate and assist with developing a communications strategy plan for PR Accelerator clients
- Develop media pitches and initiate outreach to top-tier media on behalf of the PR Accelerator
- Provide briefing documents for secured media opportunities
- Oversee op-ed development for PR Accelerator clients and secure media placement of the op-eds
- Provide strategic direction and input to build the profile of the PRA Accelerator via high quality media and MaRS events (e.g. MaRS Impact Week, Globe and Mail Events, Bloomberg Events)
- Attend bi-weekly PR Accelerator meetings
- Organize and attend media training for PR Accelerator clients
- Collaborate with our US media partner on thought leadership and earned media opportunities for the PR Accelerator clients
- Record, track and calculate the PR Accelerator metrics for board and quarterly reporting through Meltwater and Excel
- Ecosystem Communications
- Support the Senior Manager, Programming and Communications on planning and media outreach around major projects and initiatives in collaboration with internal and external partners (e.g. CILAR, IEC whitepapers and events)
- Support on identifying opportunities to raise awareness of new programs while adhering to core MaRS and MarCom strategy
- Support with the writing and editing of press releases for ecosystem announcements (i.e. StandUp Ventures, Mixed-Use Incubator, Cleantech 100 List)
- Venture PR and Communications
- Support announcements and updates when necessary by pitching to relevant media
- Provide briefing documents for secured media opportunities
- Record, track and calculate the PR earned venture metrics for board and quarterly reporting through Meltwater, Excel and Sales Force
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, or an equivalent amount of work experience
- Masters in communications or journalism, considered an asset
- 2 years in PR and corporate communications
- Key Competencies
- Client management (i.e. strategy planning and contract development)
- Strong writer/editor
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Public relations expertise and strong relationships with media
- Media monitoring and reporting skills
- Ability to draft internal messaging for senior leaders
- Robust understanding of the media landscape (digital and print), must include metric tracking
- Connections with Canadian and US media
- Production experience in broadcast/news media
What’s it like to work at MaRS?
On top of working for a mission-driven organization with a passionate, smart and engaged team, you can expect to enjoy some of these perks:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, Trivia Nights, team building outings, and summer golf day
- Joining the MaRS softball team and knocking it out of the park
- Indoor bike parking and showers
- Discounted gym membership
You’ll be working at the MaRS Centre – a vibrant, architecturally inspiring complex connected to the subway. In early 2014, MaRS increased its innovation footprint to 1.5 million square feet with the opening of its 20-storey West Tower, making it one of the world’s largest innovation hubs.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
- Open-concept office environment
- Typical operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women.
Application submissions are due on Sunday June 20, 2021
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada and reside in Ontario.
We are a purpose-driven organization on a mission to make the world a better place through inclusive innovation. This commitment to inclusion, equity and diversity are core to who we are and what we believe and, as such, encourage applications from members of diverse identity groups, including those who have been historically excluded and marginalized. You are welcome at MaRS.
We want you to be as successful throughout our recruitment process as possible. Please get in touch with us if there’s anything we can do to make your experience more accessible and inclusive, including accommodations for differing (dis)abilities.