MaRS Discovery District in Toronto is one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Cleantech, Enterprise, and Fintech sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries and driving ideas to impact.
About your role
In this hands-on role, reporting to the General Counsel, the incumbent will:
- Negotiate and draft a wide variety of legal agreements touching on the areas of: professional services, data collection and sharing, technology, intellectual property, marketing, sponsorship, government grants, corporate governance, charity matters and contests/submission processes
- Initiate, research and prepare legal presentations, reports and other key documents
- Work alongside internal business units, advise and train on legal and business risk and liabilities associated with contracts, proposals and other initiatives
- Develop a strong understanding of the business of MaRS in order to function as a business partner that can advance organizational strategy and achieve goals
- Anticipate and research legal and regulatory issues that may impact MaRS and assist in the development of practical strategies to address these issues
- Collaborate with a legal team comprised of the General Counsel and a Contract Associate
The ideal candidate will possess:
- 3-5 years of post-call legal experience gained in private practice and/or in-house
- A capacity to draft high quality legal documents with excellent attention to detail and the ability to understand the big picture
- Superior analytical and interpersonal communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Demonstrated experience working with a variety of unique commercial contracts and in providing practical regulatory guidance
- Experience in the following areas of practice is an asset: Intellectual Property, Information Technology, Technology, Data, Privacy, CASL, contests/submission processes
- The ability to thrive in a high-pressure, time-sensitive, entrepreneurial environment
- The ability to multitask multiple projects in parallel, work independently and self-prioritize
- A drive to provide practical legal advice to manage risk while ensuring deals are closed
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queen’s Park subway stop at College and University.
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, summer golf day, and more
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym memberships
- Indoor bike parking and showers
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS check out our profile on B Meaningful.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.