MaRS Discovery District (@MaRSDD) in Toronto is the one of the world’s largest urban innovation hubs. MaRS supports promising young ventures tackling key societal challenges in the Health, Energy & Environment, Work & Learning and Finance & Commerce sectors. In addition to helping startups launch, grow and scale, the MaRS community is dedicated to cross-disciplinary collaboration, commercialization of discoveries and driving ideas to impact.
About MaRS IT
The MaRS IT provides full IT support to over 250 employees and contractors in the MaRS core business units, as well as network and telephony to dozens of tenants and startup companies who, collectively, connect up to 5,000 wired and wireless devices to the internet through our high-speed network. MaRS IT also has a small, but mighty software engineering team who maintains our data back-end and develops the data pipelines and integrations that feed our business intelligence. The team also develops customer-facing web sites and specialized web applications that support the entrepreneurship ecosystem to digitally deliver the world-class services that support our community of high-growth companies and partners.
About your role
Enough about us, let’s talk about you. As our Python Web Developer, you’ll report to the Engineering Lead and will be working on a number of tools and applications that support the programs designed to help grow and scale the next generation of technology companies in Canada.
You also like working collaboratively in a team because you know that great software comes from teams that work so well together that they can finish each other’s sentences. Oh, and your colleagues at MaRS are doing no less than helping the next generation of startups scale in order move the needle on the economic success of Canada. If this sounds like your dream job, we can’t wait to hear from you.
What it’s like to work at MaRS
MaRS Centre is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queens Parks subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS.
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, and summer golf day.
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym membership
- Indoor bike parking and showers
Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
Share your credentials, but your relevant experience and knowledge will be just as likely to get our attention. It helps if you have:
- Undergraduate Degree, or Technical Certificate, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of experience writing performant, reusable, testable, and efficient server-side web applications and knowledge of common deployment scenarios.
- Experience writing good integration APIs for user-facing elements that are developed by front end developers
- Well-versed in software engineering principles, frameworks, and technologies - in particular, Python, Flask, AWS, Serverless, Lambda, Docker
- Solid understanding of OOP concepts
- Strong unit test and debugging skills
- Experience with API development
- Knowledge of relational SQL/databases and Redis
- Excellent analytical skills, work ethic and communication
- Experience with source code control tools (GIT is ideal and what we use!)
- Knowledge of multithreading, locks, and queues very well
- Knowledge of best practices for security and data protection
- Inspire a positive work environment and help champion quality, innovation, teamwork, and service to the business.
- Embrace change, learn voraciously, stretch your thinking, share your knowledge and educate others.
- Communicate and collaborate with your peers to build trust toward a highly functioning team.
- Have an "I don't know everything, but I can learn anything" attitude.
- Experience working in a not-for-profit.
- IT Engineering team to build great software
- Internal product manager, project managers, and business analysts to collaborate on solutions.
General office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
Applications are due by 5:00 PM Eastern Time on May 7, 2019.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.