KAYAK, part of Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG), is the world’s leading travel search engine. With billions of queries across our platforms, we help people find their perfect flight, stay, rental car, cruise, or vacation package. We’re also transforming the in-travel experience with our app and new accommodation software. For more information, visit www.KAYAK.com.
As an employee of KAYAK, you will be part of a global network that includes OpenTable and KAYAK's portfolio of metasearch brands including Swoodoo, checkfelix, momondo, Cheapflights, Mundi and HotelsCombined. Many employees are dedicated to one brand, but we all have the benefit of using each others strengths and insights. Together, we're able to help people experience the world through dining and travel.
We are looking for a product designer who is curious and passionate about investigating user needs in the travel space, specifically focusing on upper-funnel user journey, onboarding and activation. A strong portfolio of successful product, feature or other technical projects, and past experience designing for mobile platforms are essential. You should have a proficiency in fundamental visual and interaction design disciplines and principals and have an outstanding eye for pixel-perfect detail. This role is in our Berlin office. From here you will be working with a global team of Product Managers, Engineers and Designers to create, deliver, and test digital travel products.
In this role, you will:
- Work through design problems from beginning to end: translating research and analytical insights into ideas that form new products and features, then designing the workflows and detailed interactions to realize them
- Sketch and prototype ideas to quickly access viability, and design detailed interactions
- Work within and build upon our brand’s design system
- Iterate based on feedback from the whole team
- Work closely with engineers as they build and ship ideas
- Own the success or failure of design work
Please apply if you have:
- Established performance that has experience designing digital products, not just websites. You have helped ship products
- Designed UIs that people can access on any type of device: desktop, tablet, phone
- Extensive experience designing for mobile platforms
- Comfortable with product optimization and experimentation
- Interest in the behavioral psychology behind user activation and onboarding
- An appreciation of the entire product development process, from problem solving through to detailed UI and visual design
- The ability to create breathtaking high-fidelity mockups of your designs using Sketch, Figma, etc
- The ability to build prototypes using any of tools: InVision, Principle, Framer, Keynote, Origami, HTML/CSS, etc
- Strong time leadership skills and the ability to be self-direct when needed.
- A curiosity to learn and adapt as new and different challenges constantly emerge
- Comfortable working in a dynamic design process where we let quantitative and qualitative customer data guide our designs
- Solid written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present a strong rationale for design decisions.
- Demonstrated history of acquiring user data (e.g., conducting usability studies, performing user research) is a big plus.
- Experience working with software developers in an Agile/Scrum environment is a plus.
Benefits and Perks
- 6 weeks paid vacation
- Day off on your birthday
- Work from (almost) anywhere policy
- Free lunch catering 2 days per week and all the snacks you need
- Generous retirement plans
- Universal paid parental leave
- Public transportation subsidies
- Bike leasing possibility
- German classes
- Free massages
- Regular team events and volunteering opportunities
- Sport teams and in-house gym
Diversity and Inclusion
We aspire to have a workplace that reflects all of the diverse communities we serve. We know that when we have diverse teams we produce more creative ideas, products, and better outcomes for our team members. OpenTable/KAYAK is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome and encourage candidates from all backgrounds and experiences to apply for roles on our team. Whoever you are, just be you.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform job responsibilities, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.