Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Come help us build a world-changing product, a long-lasting company and the most effective R&D team possible. We want to build an organisation where people thrive, feel included, grow in their careers, and enjoy having high impact through their work and we need experienced engineering managers to help us grow.
The Intercom platform consists of several different and connected products. Each product is designed and owned by a single team. As an Engineering Manager, you'll partner with a Product Manager to define a product vision, strategy and roadmap.
You'll be expected to own your space: work with all disciplines on your team to build, launch, learn and iterate. You will talk directly with your customers, take part in usability studies, work with data analysts and researchers to ask the right questions and make good use of the answers.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Support an ambitious group of engineers in their career goals.
- Partner with a product manager to define a product vision, strategy and roadmap.
- Be actively involved in hiring and growing our engineering team.
- Care about agility as much you care about scalability and availability.
- Drive, create and improve operational excellence, quality, security and privacy initiatives within your team and the entire engineering organization
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive environment and drive the evolution of our culture
What skills do I need? 📖
- Management experience is a requirement. New managers are grown through our engineering team, so external hires must have hands-on experience of people management.s
- You also need to have knowledge of a high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Perl etc.) but it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working). Our ideal is for every team to be comfortable working across the full stack, delivering new features and capabilities from start to finish.
- The core Intercom product is a Ruby on Rails application with an Ember.js frontend. We use MySQL for most of our storage, though we’re starting to migrate to other services like Amazon’s DynamoDB.
- If you want to take your career in a management direction but haven’t had the opportunity yet, we’d strongly encourage you to apply for our product engineering role. Career progression is important to us and if management is the path you’d like to take we can help you get there.
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas
This role is based in our city centre office on St. Stephen’s Green, in Dublin, Ireland. Our entire R&D team is based here. You'll report directly to one of our directors of engineering.