G2.com is revolutionizing the way businesses discover, buy and manage software and services. More than five million users per month rely on G2 to help them find and buy the best software for their businesses. G2 features over 1 million authentic customer reviews, has built a global team of nearly 400 talented, motivated professionals, and has raised $100M in total funding from some of the world’s leading investors including IVP, Accel Partners, LinkedIn, Emergence Capital, Pritzker Group, Chicago Ventures, Hyde Park Ventures, industry leaders and its founders.
About the Role
G2 is seeking a Market Research Principal Analyst focused on software and technology markets to share in maintaining and curating our real-time taxonomy and the related research that powers our G2 marketplace. Our analysts put buyers first though our work in developing independent and unbiased categorization of B2B software and data-driven thought leadership.
At a fast paced, hyper growth company like G2, responsibilities, tasks, and projects can evolve rapidly and the ability to adapt is critical.
We’re looking for someone who understands the importance of data and has the ability to convert that data into compelling narratives, and reports using their oral and written presentation skills. We remain 100% unbiased in our analyses, combining our technology and industry knowledge with the data/experiences of real software users.
Principals support their fellow team members in the growth and maintenance of G2’s priority categories, and bring their own subject matter expertise and experience to a given range of software markets - supporting the development of a subset of our overall software taxonomy.
You would be successful if you describe yourself as:
- Experienced analyst or market practitioner with recognized subject matter expertise to support G2 sales and partnership efforts by shaping market leaders’ opinions.
- Self-motivated individual with exceptional writing and verbal skills and an analytical eye to help G2 tell meaningful, data-driven stories and share insights and trends in interesting ways.
- Recognized authority with established market presence through published articles, regular posting cadence, and events.
- Key subject matter expert supporting G2 sales and partnership efforts shaping market leaders’ opinions.
- Category Expertise: Serves as a subject matter expert on their market and organizational digital transformation initiatives related to their market. Develops an authoritative view on the specific software space, and a deep understanding of what software buyers need to know to make informed buying decisions.
- Thought Leadership, Writing & Analysis: A demonstrated thought leader in their market with a strong ability to deliver credible content in a variety of formats on the subject. Produce timely, actionable and original insights for enterprise buyers of technology that help educate and inform them about B2B technology and market trends to improve buying and use decisions. Develop an authoritative voice and source/deliver content independently. Demonstrates a strong understanding of industry trends and how they impact software buyers/users. Amplify professional analyst brand by posting on social and professional networks, and attending/speaking at industry related events. Takes ownership over the promotion of their content internally and externally.
- Category development: Take appropriate actions to grow the business in the assigned categories through sales support, business development, partner development and other methods as necessary. Assist in driving the direction of the category roadmap for their team’s markets.
- Vendor relationships: Take a proactive approach to connecting with vendors and coach other team members to do the same. Participate in G2’s Lead Analyst program, providing white-glove service to key customers in partnership with sales; delegate related activities to team members.
- Collaboration: Collaborates with the rest of the G2 Product R&D and market facing teams to develop and deliver new types of research offerings. Collaborate with the rest of the G2 team to develop and deliver new reports, insights and offerings. When relevant, identify themes and trends that expand across multiple markets or industries, engage with fellow analysts around those themes.
- Mentorship: Be a trusted advisor to team members with different experience from your own. Aid them in expanding their expertise, encourage their growth, listen & share feedback.
- 5+ years of market research, analyst or category-specific experience preferred
- Proven experience and knowledge in a specific software market
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in related discipline - or equivalent, relevant work experience
- Have a curiosity and desire to dig deep into trends and topics, making them accessible to software buyers
- Strong writing, secondary research and listening skills
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Fast learner who can work independently
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Focused on identifying problems with creative solutions
- Ability to work cross functionally across different departments to deliver impact
- Established relationships with software buyers and vendors is a plus
- Clear passion about G2 portfolio and ability to identify possibilities in our industry
- Experience working in a fast-paced, SaaS environment
Why we love G2
G2 was founded to create a place where people will love to work hard and grow professionally. We strive to create meaning in our work by building our PEAK culture around our values of Performance, Entrepreneurial Spirit, Authenticity and Kindness. We aim to provide more than just a job: a true calling. G2 is a place where people can be authentic and grow by doing challenging, innovative work and be inspired to succeed by conscious leaders and a supportive group of coworkers. We pride ourselves on creating an environment where people can enjoy coming to work every day while being challenged to grow professionally while supporting our employees in their professional and personal lives.
We encourage all candidates to review our interview process to best prepare themselves on what to expect as a candidate of G2.