FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building a world class online accounting application to help small businesses better manage their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Senior Data Engineer
FreshBooks seeks a Senior Data Engineer to join our team! In this role, you will help build new features and update existing ones in our current data pipeline infrastructure. You will also help set the future direction of the Data team. If you’re committed to great work and are constantly looking for ways to improve the systems you’re responsible for, we’d love to chat with you!
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with Data Engineers and Full-Stack Developers on cross-functional agile teams working on features for our stakeholders
- Work closely with our Analytics, Data Science, and Product teams to ensure their data needs are met
- Help guide the future of the Data team through ideas on where to go, and how to get there
- Find clever new ways to make better use of our data, analytics, and machine learning infrastructure to solve customer problems
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions.
- Ship your code with our continuous integration process
- Provide coaching to Junior Data Engineers and share & learn from your peers
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in Data Engineering
What you bring:
- Expertise in world-class data pipelines, from batch job to real time implementations
- Passion for keeping on top of current data engineering trends and the ability to understand when they should be applied
- The ability to ruthlessly prioritize, in a rapidly changing and ambiguous environment
- Experience with at least one main development language. You’ll almost certainly work closely with Python code. If you have a stronger track record in a different language -- or, better yet, multiple different languages -- that’s great, and we’ll expect you to demonstrate to us that you can learn to produce well-factored idiomatic Python code
- Experience with MySQL, Postgres, or similar storage technologies
- A strong understanding of test-driven (and behavioural test driven) development, and of building substantially complete test code around the code that you write, and not just for the happy path
- Experience working with large codebases and writing robust and testable code
- Familiarity with continuous integration and automated build pipelines
- Experience using github, reviewing code, reviewing PRs, and merging branches
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- The ability to balance desire to ship code quickly to our internal customers with responsibility of making good technical decisions
What you might bring:
- A track record of staying on the forefront of data engineering technology
- Experience with AWS, or another major cloud provider such as Google Cloud Platform
- Experience developing and/or managing real time data pipelines and fast data architectures
- Experience with BI tools: Periscope, Looker
- Experience with Redshift, Big Query, or similar cloud storage technologies
- Experience with other modern storage technologies such as Cassandra, MongoDB, and others
- Experience with Spark, Kafka, Flink, Gearpump, Dataflow, or other streaming technologies
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, and Terraform, and other DevOps and infrastructure as code technologies
- Experience with machine learning technologies, techniques, and algorithms, especially operationalizing machine learning models
- A limitless imagination for where data could go and what we can do with it to make our customers and our people awesome!
Why Join Us?
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. In this role you will be working at the forefront of marketing analytics surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for building an amazing software company right here in downtown Toronto. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, we’d like to meet you.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.