Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get life insurance for the next million families. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally multi-week process into a modern digital experience for our users that can take just minutes!
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, SoftBank, and the investment vehicles of Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, Robert Downey Jr and others. This year, we were named on CB Insights' Global Insurtech 50 list and BuiltIn's Top 100 Midsize Companies in San Francisco. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families!
What We're Looking For
Ethos is looking for an experienced actuary to join our team. You will be partnering closely with our actuarial, underwriting and product teams to identify opportunities to fine-tune and innovate our product, underwriting and pricing solutions. You will also work with other teams to identify and pursue new product and distribution opportunities. You will assist in identification of ideal industry partners and push them to accelerate the evolution of our product mix and risk practices to enable optimal customer experience.
We are looking for someone who is excited by the prospect of doing the impossible and scaling a new insurance model at extraordinary speed. The right candidate will have expertise in life insurance products, underwriting and pricing; experience working with varied stakeholders internally and externally; and be able to think differently to create value and capitalize on unrealized opportunities in the market. This is a unique opportunity to drive the offerings for a brand that is quickly gaining a lot of national and global attention.
If this sounds like a match for you and what you are up to, please apply. We'd love to hear from you!
- Are self-motivated and persistent to seek answers in a fast-paced startup environment
- Have a bias for action and are comfortable managing internal and external relationships to achieve the same
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills, including understanding stakeholder needs and communicating credibly and effectively to your audience
- Are detail-oriented and have strong mathematical foundations
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the development and monitoring of actuarial assumptions and performance metrics
- Perform lapse and mortality experience studies at a granular, multivariate level
- Develop leading edge actuarial, data science and automation techniques to speed analysis and enhance understanding
- Recommend actuarial assumptions for the ASC606 balance sheet and determine methods to supply additional granularity for other use cases as appropriate
- Partner with stakeholders to deploy actuarial assumptions for use in financial projections, marketing optimization, and inforce management
- Collaborate with Data Engineering and Data Analytics teams to achieve actuarial data objectives
- Document assumption development to meet auditor and actuarial standards
- Continuously identify opportunities to improve risk selection and pricing
- Identify lapse rate predictors and drivers of lapses above expected rates
- Model the impact of potential sales funnel and administrative changes on lapses
- Perform the calculation of mortality misclassification metrics ensuring a strong traceability to the sales funnel, fraud monitoring and underwriting data
- Conduct retro studies on new and alternative sources of underwriting data
- Provide actuarial / data science underwriting insights to support the continuous improvement of underwriting guidelines and the customer journey
- Deliver proprietary predictive analytics and other statistical techniques to augment traditional underwriting partnering with data science and vendors
- Increase availability, usability and scale of risk data
- Identify data model needs to IT and ensure use cases are clear
- Incorporate third party and industry data sets into Ethos analysis
- Maintain leading knowledge on industry mortality and underwriting trends
- Support other research for the Insurance department as needed
Skills & Background:
- BS/BA in Mathematics, Statistics, or similar quantitative field
- Expertise in SQL, R and data visualization tools
- ASA with SOA predictive analytics exams or certification or advanced Statistics degree
- Deep understanding of life insurance products, underwriting and pricing
- Demonstrated research capabilities coupled with effective documentation
- Excellent written and oral communication and data visualization skills, including understanding stakeholder needs and communicating effectively to your audience
Don’t meet every single requirement? If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. At Ethos we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.