Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get term life insurance. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally 15-week process into a modern digital experience for our users.
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We are listed in Forbes’ Top 50 Fintechs of 2020. And for exciting news about our growth check out Life-Insurance Startup Ethos Valued at More Than $2 Billion. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families.
About the Role
Do you want to make the world a better place? Are you a born operator who knows how to “manage to metrics” and loves to mentor and guide? This role seeks a dynamic individual who has the energy and vision to build a team from the ground up. Then lead that team to victory.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Obsessed with our underwriting employee satisfaction
- Ability to lead the team with passion about positivity and continual improvement
- Recruit, hire, mentor, and develop underwriting staff
- Consistently assess quality and headcount
- Continuously perform hiring analysis to flex with our growth
- Build out underwriting growth and career paths
- Work with broader team to create onboarding and underwriting training programs
- Develop and effectively execute underwriting procedures, policies, and standards
- Work with carrier and internal partners to develop relevant goals and objectives then work with the team to meet them on a consistent basis
- Lead and manage day-to-day underwriting team operations
- Lead team meetings
- Manage escalations
- Resourcing (e.g., scheduling, team rotations, etc.)
- Act as liaison between Underwriting, customer support and sales and other cross-functional partners
- Build strong, trusted relationships with our carrier and vendor partners.
- Own, develop, and lead all aspects of B2B vendor management
- Use operational learnings to champion enhancements to Ethos proprietary workbench and automated rules engine, to improve auto-approval rates, efficiency and user experience
- Focus on implementation of consistent and high-quality output
- Monitor and continuously improve metrics focused on the vendor specific activities
- Facilitate process standardization such as activity metrics, underwriting process, and operational cadence
- Manage and maintain relationship with external case management vendor
- Be an effective partner with other internal teams such as billing, operations, finance, product, marketing, and more
- Stay informed on the latest industry best practices, strategies, and methods
Qualifications and Skills:
- 5+ years in new business, case management or underwriting
- 2+ years of experience managing operations
- Extensive knowledge of life insurance trends and new technology
- Sharp focus on execution and an owner mentality with a track record of delivering success in a timely manner
- Data oriented decision making skills and great intuition
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.