At DeepMind, we value diversity of experience, knowledge, backgrounds and perspectives and harness these qualities to create extraordinary impact. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, maternity or related condition (including breastfeeding) or any other basis as protected by applicable law. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.
The role of the Program Management team is to coordinate and enable our teams to be the best at what they do and to make fast-paced progress towards our mission. We continually pursue scalable and sustainable ways to optimize work on real world applications, cultivating an environment where people can be both highly collaborative and deeply creative, making responsible and pioneering research progress at pace. We build strong relationships with teams and team members, bringing clarity to ambiguity and providing stability during change. We continually deepen our domain knowledge, working alongside engineers, researchers, and product managers to execute on programs and projects with Google / Alphabet partners.
We’re a dedicated scientific community, committed to “solving intelligence” and ensuring our technology is used for widespread public benefit. We’ve built a supportive and inclusive environment where collaboration is encouraged and learning is shared freely. We don’t set limits based on what others think is possible or impossible. We drive ourselves and inspire each other to push boundaries and achieve ambitious goals.
We constantly iterate on our workplace experience with the goal of ensuring it encourages a balanced life. From excellent office facilities through to extensive manager support, we strive to support our people and their needs as effectively as possible.
Our list of benefits is extensive, and we’re happy to discuss this further throughout the interview process!
The Applied team is situated across London and Mountain View, and collaborates with product and research teams inside Alphabet to incubate groundbreaking research and deploy advanced machine learning algorithms to improve Alphabet products and services.
As a Senior Program Manager, you will apply program management methodologies to multiple initiatives, balancing progress and risk to deliver sustainable change to meet objectives. You will manage a team of program managers, supporting their output and building a community of practice.
- Manage the delivery of programs designed to achieve highly impactful applications of machine learning, keeping project teams focused and productive
- Deliver on cross-functional efforts to scale efficient operations and team development; evaluate and improve processes, tools, templates and documentation for repeatability and sustainability
- Conduct regular retrospectives on successes and failures and provide independent analysis; share lessons and insights across the wider business
- Learn new business and technical skills quickly, adapt to changing environments while providing day-to-day coordination and quality assurance for projects and tasks
- Lead and develop a dedicated team of program managers, assuming accountability for project allocations and goal delivery; develop a coaching relationship with team members, sharing feedback, challenging established ways of thinking and inspiring them to achieve their full potential; enable them to collaborate, gain new perspectives and solve problems
We highly value strong Program Managers who are willing to help out with whatever moves our projects forward.
- Extensive knowledge and expertise in program management, able to navigate through ambiguity and adjust and adapt plans and strategies as project conditions change
- Able to foster respect, inclusion, and collaboration when working with teams, and skilled in building relationships and fostering trust with a diverse group of people
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to distill complex ideas to their essence
- Experience operating autonomously across multiple, distributed teams, with the ability to balance multiple projects and prioritize effectively
- Extensive line management experience
- Proactive about learning and acquiring knowledge to enhance your domain knowledge
- Technical degree or equivalent working knowledge
- Curious to learn about AI/machine learning research, and excited by the opportunity to solve AGI and the benefits this can bring to our world
- Demonstrated understanding of how to successfully work with, advocate for and develop talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds, including non-traditional ones
Closing date: 29 September