Associate Pretrial Services Manager
CJA's work seeks to reduce jail overcrowding and unnecessary detention in New York City.
Are you ready for a managerial position in operational oversight & performance management?
Are you a resourceful, relationship builder and liaison looking to improve stakeholder engagement?
Are you an informed justice professional looking for an opportunity to effect change in our court system and within the pretrial arena?
Join our team of multi-disciplined professionals!
Under the direction of the Pretrial Services Manager, the Associate Pretrial Services Manager is the deputy to the Pretrial Services Manager and manages the day-to-day operations of all borough programming and oversees the borough’s data collection and work performance. The position will also work to assess the performance of CJA programming and personnel as well as implement quality assurance processes to achieve best-in-class pretrial services at the borough. This position will quality control the data entry and management of the pre-arraignment interview/release recommendation system (Release on Recognizance (ROR) interview), BEX, and Youth Engagement Coordination. As part of the borough’s management team, the Associate Pretrial Services Manager will provide training and direct supervision to supervisors and pretrial associates to ensure efficient and effective operations through clear communication of departmental goals and performance standards to the staff. The Associate Pretrial Services Manager provides administrative oversight, supervision, and accountability for the department.
- Manages the day-to-day efficiency and thoroughness of the pre-arraignment interview process through on-site observation, reporting and troubleshooting challenges
- Supervises bail expediting and facilitation efforts of staff
- Trains and provides on-going coaching to new staff on the process; and implements quality controls to ensure program success
- Directly supervises Court Services Coordinators (CSCs) in their efforts to develop and improve systems to support bail payment facilitation and service referrals, as well as family contact pre- and post-arraignment and overseeing the ROR interview process
- Serves as CSC back-up only if necessary.
- Implements program changes and innovative pilot projects, working in conjunction with Planning staff, Research, and IT departments as necessary
- Facilitates individual meetings with Court Services Coordinators to provide coaching and feedback; oversees the CSCs' supervision of the Pretrial Associates (PTAs)
- Coordinates with Pretrial Services Manager on the agenda and communications at monthly town hall meetings; records and provides minutes and follows up on next steps
- Performs shift audits, and provides managerial presence on shifts
- Reviews daily/weekly/monthly reports on program activity to ensure efficacy and troubleshoot any issues
- Provides timely responses and testimony to court in response to subpoena requests
- Represents CJA and establishes, maintains, and develops good working relationships with interacting agencies to ensure high-quality operations
- Monitors office, facility, and IT operations and identifies problems and solutions to ensure all offices in the borough are properly maintained, cleaned, and equipped with fully functional equipment
- Utilizes all systems such as e-arraignment and prioritization reports to monitor defendant tracking during arrest-to-arraignment
- Assists in special analytic and pilot projects that CJA is implementing
- Other tasks as outlined by Pretrial Services Manager or Regional Director
Data Management and Analysis
- Compiles statistics for analysis and provides monthly reports of findings
- Draw conclusions from available data and makes appropriate recommendations
- Leads quality control for data collection and work performance, including ROR, court date notification, BEX Unit, and other programs
- Prepares and analyze trends reports to identify data issues for accuracy, patterns, deviations, and anomalies
Performance Management / Staff Development
- Oversees Pretrial Associates and Shift Supervisor performance management and evaluation system
- Provides training to Court Services Coordinator staff to understand patterns about youth arraignments and bail issues
- Writes and presents employee evaluations for Court Services Coordinators (CSCs)
- Counsel employees on sick leave use and level 1 for lateness
- Works with Planning and Human Resources to identify training needs and opportunities for operations staff
- Actively participates in recruitment, orientation, and training of new personnel
- Supports on-site training for new procedures and special projects
- Coordinates team-building activities in collaboration with staff and borough management
- Educates staff on recognition programs such as GEM (Going the Extra Mile) program and other incentives
- Works to support administrative duties and back of office operations such as timekeeping, record keeping, and supply management
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to act as a liaison with court personnel, defense bar, correction, police, stakeholders, and district attorney offices
- Excellent verbal and written communication and analytical skills to provide training and presentations
- Strong mediation and conflict resolution for handling conflicts among staff or stakeholders
- Superb cross-departmental/cross-agency communications skills with an emphasis on best practice sharing
- Dedication to taking initiative and working cooperatively around common goals
- Utilizes effective problem-solving skills and is solutions driven
- Willingness to take a leadership role and provide clear directives to staff
- Coordinates team building and systems to support staff morale
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook is essential
- Strong acumen for working with large and varied data reports
- Demonstrates an understanding of Agency policy and procedures
- Commitment to increasing pretrial justice knowledge base
- Excellent time management and self-discipline
- Ability to multitask and prioritize projects
- Must be able to work evenings and be on-call during days off as well as for staff meetings as necessary
Each employee should embody the following core values in their work at CJA:
- Commitment: We are committed to being active partners in criminal justice reform through initiatives and creative problem-solving that evaluates different methods and strategies for alternatives to detention.
- Fairness: We are guided by fairness and the presumption of innocence for those who are detained and work with integrity and without bias to protect the privacy and interest of court-involved people and their families.
- Innovation: We value curiosity as a driving force to lead the way in pretrial services. We use innovative techniques in research, pilot programs, and engaging justice-involved communities to execute our mission of reducing unnecessary pretrial detention.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3 years of supervisory experience
- Strong knowledge of pretrial services and NYC Court system
- Experience working with unionized staff, a plus
Hours: Must be available to work in the Bronx location. Preferred schedule is Tuesday to Saturday from 10-6, 11-7, or 12-8 depending on borough need
Benefits: CJA offers a very generous benefit plan including health, dental and vision insurance, a comprehensive mental health and wellness (EAP) plan, four weeks’ vacation, paid holidays and a retirement plan with employer matching contributions. CJA is also strongly committed to professional learning and development for its staff members and offers staff varied opportunities for learning and development through partnerships and vendor services for web based, in-person professional development training, as well as in-house job training and development.
The New York City Criminal Justice Agency is an Equal Opportunity Employer