(various locations and shifts)
CJA's work seeks to reduce jail overcrowding and unnecessary detention in New York City.
Are you a resourceful relationship builder and liaison looking to improve stakeholder engagement?
Are you an innovative and informed justice professional looking for an opportunity to effect change in our court system and within the pretrial arena?
Join our team of multi-disciplined professionals!
Reporting to the Borough Managers and Associate Borough Managers, the Pretrial Supervisor will supervise the daily operations and workflow of the Pretrial Associates in the central booking facility including extended operations in BEX or FTA as directed. The Pretrial Supervisor supports the Agency’s efforts to process defendants for arraignment in a timely manner, ensuring the flow of information between NYPD, Department of Corrections and the Office of Court Administration. He/she oversees a staff of 5-7 associates per shift, working collaboratively with their co-supervisors.
- Supervises the work of Pretrial Associates in gathering information from newly arrested defendants to determine their eligibility for release on recognizance (ROR)
- Oversees daily site operations including but not limited to: workflow and distribution; quality control and scheduling
- Coordinates agency efforts with outside agencies, and monitoring of staff performance and attendance
- Monitors data entry and verification efforts of defendant contacts, transcription of defendants' criminal history records, and potential bail sureties for Bail Expediting Program (BEX)
- Trains new Associates in all aspects of the agency protocols and pre and post arraignment process
- Evaluates the performance of new Pretrial Associates during their probationary period and tenured Associates on an annual basis
- Assists in the compilation of statistical data, and participation in special projects
CJA is the NYC’s original pretrial service agency, providing services and solutions to reduce jail overcrowding and unnecessary detention in New York City. A non-profit agency funded through the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice, CJA is uniquely positioned to provide the City’s Criminal Justice leaders, policy-makers and stakeholders with information, technical expertise and research about people arrested within the 5 boroughs of NYC.
We are committed to being active partners in criminal justice reform through initiatives and creative problem-solving that evaluates different methods and strategies for alternatives to detention.
We are guided by fairness and the presumption of innocence for those who are detained and work with integrity and without bias to protect the privacy and interest of court-involved people and their families.
We value curiosity as a driving force to lead the way in pretrial services. We use innovative techniques in research, pilot programs, and engaging justice-involved communities to execute our mission of reducing unnecessary pretrial detention.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college
- At least 1 year of relevant experience, which may include: at least 1 year of supervision with knowledge of the New York Criminal Court System and prior interviewing skills, case management or related criminal justice, social or public service experience. Experience with Alternative to Incarceration programs or pretrial services are preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is essential. Knowledge of Outlook and other computer systems is beneficial.
- Manages multiple priorities using good self-management and time management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to quickly respond to employee concerns about workflow.
- Willingness to work any assigned tour based on operational need.
LOCATION & HOURS: There are various openings across the boroughs.
The New York City Criminal Justice Agency (CJA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Only those candidates being considered will be contacted