Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in Oakland, Charlotte, Los Angeles and London.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
The Site Reliability Database Engineering team is responsible for the persistent data tier and the infrastructure that ensure the availability and reliability of that data. This architecture is core to bringing value for our members and important for propelling us forward. As a Site Reliability Database Engineer, you will contribute to the performance and scale of Credit Karma's cloud managed data infrastructure in addition to large scale database administration. You will improve the availability and reliability of these key systems, analyzing performance, and taking us to the next level. This role reports into a Senior Manager of Database Engineering.
What you'll do:
- Build and automate aspects of database management, infrastructure, and architecture by utilizing software to achieve a highly available, scalable, and reliable storage platform
- Produce database systems that are scalable, automated, and well documented
- Spot performance issues by looking at SQL statements, and recommend schema improvements based on the output of EXPLAIN plans
- Automate processes and systems with Python or equivalent languages to reduce toil and achieve scalability in a cloud centric environment
- Use your experience to investigate incidents and troubleshoot issues that arise as quickly as possible to reduce business impact
- Collaborate across engineering and product teams to translate application requirements to infrastructure capabilities
- Ensure best practices and observability of the databases, such as metrics, logging, tracing, and alerting
- Consult on and design infrastructure, system and application architecture
What's great about the role:
- You will contribute to an extremely engineering-focused organization
- Your contributions will have a noticeable impact on our members and your fellow Karmanauts (that's what we call ourselves)
- You will be involved in organizational efforts of continuous improvement to increase and ensure the reliability of Credit Karma
- You will get broad exposure to our full stack, consisting of desired and progressive technologies such as MySQL, Kubernetes, Terraform, Google Cloud Platform, Salt, Datadog, New Relic, Splunk
What we're looking for:
- 3+ years of Database Engineering experience working with MySQL
- 2+ years experience programming in Python, Go or equivalent
- Experience in MySQL clustering and failover strategies
- Experience with database system internals (Innodb and Innodb cluster), and their impact on query and system/site performance
- Experience with cloud technologies, such as GCP, Infrastructure as Code (Terraform), containerization, Google Cloud SQL
- Experience in MySQL high availability using Orchestrator, Consul, ProxySQL, etc.
- Professional experience in a role to improve the reliability, scalability, performance of distributed systems.
- Working knowledge of New Relic, Splunk or similar monitoring stack.
- Working knowledge of distributed databases, such as Google Spanner.
- Knowledge in NoSQL products, such as Cassandra, MongoDB or other modern datastores.
Benefits at Credit Karma includes:
- Medical and Dental Coverage
- Retirement Plan
- Commuter Benefits
- Wellness perks
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick, Baby Bonding, Cultural Observance, & More)
- Education Perks
- Paid Gift Week in December
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Credit Karma is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information or other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with applicable fair chance laws.
Credit Karma is also committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment because it is the right thing to do. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
COVID-19 update (US Jobs Only):
Credit Karma believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. We also believe that in order to work toward our mission of helping people make financial progress, people first and foremost need their health. All employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date unless otherwise approved for an exception as may be required by law.
Credit Karma is strongly committed to protecting personal data. Please take a look below to review our privacy policies: